• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Full Multitouch coming?

in a nutshell: iphone users needed multitasking way way way less than android users needed multitouch. can u deny that?

As a former iPhone user, I don't agree with that statement at all. The lack of multitasking is the iPhone's biggest downfall and far more severe of an issue than the lack of multitouch support in native android apps. It took me 30 seconds to close a game and clear an e-mail alert on the iPhone 3G, then another 10 seconds to open my game again. I can do the same task on an Android device in 3 seconds.

Multi-touch is nice but I don't miss it at all.

Upvote 0
The only app I've found with no copy/paste is the Gmail app. Everything else one seems to be able to copy/paste to their hearts' desire :)

This is correct, i meant in gmail, for some reason does not support copy and paste, which is crazy, hopefully it comes along soon. much of my website sales are replies in which i need to copy and paste emails into the replies

although i still have not found an easier copy paste method than on iphone, simply dragging the box around the text to copy then hit "copy" we really need that on N1

Upvote 0
I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'll take trackball navigation for copy/paste for the apple's implementation any day.

so say i want to copy only part of a text message and paste it in an email or another text, how do i use the trackball to select the part of the text i want copied, the only way i have found by long pressing the text, makes you copy/paste the whole thing. and how can i copy paste in gmail. am i missing something, again i am new to android, comming from iphone and this is about the only thing i would change at the moment

Upvote 0
so say i want to copy only part of a text message and paste it in an email or another text, how do i use the trackball to select the part of the text i want copied, the only way i have found by long pressing the text, makes you copy/paste the whole thing. and how can i copy paste in gmail. am i missing something, again i am new to android, comming from iphone and this is about the only thing i would change at the moment

For a text message, just copy the whole thing, then when pasting in to whatever document you're pasting it in, just delete out the parts you don't want...Usually text messages are short, anyway, so it shouldn't be too difficult to delete out what is not needed...

If you are using the GMail app, you will not be able to copy/paste--limitation of the app. But, if you use GMail in the browser, you'll be able to copy/paste

Upvote 0
You can't in SMS, you can only select the entire specific messages, but I don't think you can do that on the iPhone either. Not positive on that though.

You can however copy the whole message, then select/edit the message once it is pasted.

I honestly dont remember specifically about sms on the iphone, my biggest gripe is gmail, why leave copy paste out of that, i am clueless. like i said, not a huge deal but i do use it quite a lot and is a pain not to have anymore.

And as we were typing i just used the trackball for copy and paste in dolphin for the first time. i like it, thanx for the heads up just need gmail copy/paste

Upvote 0
and you are bat shit delusional. MT IS NOT AVAILABLE in ANDROID because when you take an android phone out of the box in the u.s, MT IS NOT ENABLED; you heard what i said? here i go again: AMERICAN ANDROID PHONES DONT HAVE MT!!!!! your statement regarding 1.6 (MT there but disabled) is the lame statement of a lame apologist.

also, you are a geek. most people are average users who dont go around multitasking. so YOU ARE WRONG: multitasking is not the most important feature of a smart phone; if it was, the iphone would not even be half as successfull as it is today; it's performance and apps silly, which android sucks at, and you know it.

to have your attitude towards those who criticize android is showing either absolute arrogance or absolute denial.
considering your history i'd say your a lot of both; after all, from your previous posts you do consider 90% of N1 users to be morons.

now go and try to find a decent android timer app or some good hacker who'd help you enable that disabled MT capability; while you're at it, ask the hacker to come up with a decent keyboard and maybe a system that has less FC popups. .....and please spare me the attitude. this is a public forum. i post whatever i want and you're not smarter than anyone here....

For the record Ive taken dumps with higher IQs than you.

Youre not only delusional but a sad human being. Ive seen blind fanboys go on other forums to bash and try to discredit. But at they usually know theyre full of crap and often have good points and know what there talking about.
You have none of that.

I will give you an LOL for equating tapping the Android Market icon to "asking a hacker". That rates high on the unintentional comedy scale.

This is a public forum. So keep on posting. I rather enjoy watching other people kicking you around everytime you post your jibberish.

Upvote 0
,,,,,often have good points and know what there talking about....You have none of that. ......

I rather enjoy watching other people kicking you around everytime you post your jibberish.

all of the negative remarks that i make about android are BASED ON REAL SHORTCOMINGS of android. all of them. every single post i made about android is based on android's deplorable state. the proof is that people tend to attack my character, as opposed to the post itself, because they know it's true. you on the other hand are just pathetic claiming that ur phone has MT, yet you know it does not. that's just lame and sad.

i am glad that through my posts, i am bringing joy into your sad android apologist life; i cannot say the same about ur posts; see at least i get "kicked around" you on the other hand just get ignored, pretty sad and lame. i am not surprised that u consider my posts "jibberish".... how can someone so arrogant, so full of crap, and so delusional about android (hallucinating that its got MT ) understand anything that actually makes sense?....

it's ok man, i feel ur pain. ur sad that you spent more than half a grant an another overrated android device and u just cannot admit it. i feel ya man.....just take a deep breath, pull ur pants out of ur SS and u'll feel better.

Upvote 0
I'm so confused about people (including WRITERS for godsakes) who think there isn't multi-touch on Android. Give me 20 seconds, and I'll show you it does.

It's probably not in default apps because it sucks. It's cool the first time you see it... in 2007. But it's NOT the best UI for the vast majority of applications. Why is it better to do something with two fingers that you can do with one? Inefficient.

Upvote 0
I'm so confused about people (including WRITERS for godsakes) who think there isn't multi-touch on Android. Give me 20 seconds, and I'll show you it does.

It's probably not in default apps because it sucks. It's cool the first time you see it... in 2007. But it's NOT the best UI for the vast majority of applications. Why is it better to do something with two fingers that you can do with one? Inefficient.

no need to be confused; it's simple. when u take out an american android smartphone out of the box, it wont have MT. it does not matter that the hardware and software support it; what matters is how stock android functions. that's all. if i give u 20 secs, u wont show me native MT-controlled apps. u will show me dolphin and some 3d party gallery.

MT does not suck. it is great when applied to the VK and to certain games. while double tap is more efficient because it involves one finger, pinch gives more control in terms of the level of zoom in the browser and gallery. also when it comes to zooming control, double tap is better at zooming in than zooming out. double tap should not go away. but both double tap and pinching should be available options.
people generally do want MT in their browser; how else could u explain the recent popularity of dolphin? why would a hacker try to enable browser MT if people did not want it?
the last thing i wanna remind you is that MT through native support is smoother and more standardized across apps than 3d party MT. so if your phone's hardware supports the real deal, why should u get a second rate deal like the one offered my 3d party apps? why? if palm, non-u.s androids, and apple can do it, why cant we?

Upvote 0
no need to be confused; it's simple. when u take out an american android smartphone out of the box, it wont have MT. it does not matter that the hardware and software support it; what matters is how stock android functions. that's all. if i give u 20 secs, u wont show me native MT-controlled apps. u will show me dolphin and some 3d party gallery.

MT does not suck. it is great when applied to the VK and to certain games. while double tap is more efficient because it involves one finger, pinch gives more control in terms of the level of zoom in the browser and gallery. also when it comes to zooming control, double tap is better at zooming in than zooming out. double tap should not go away. but both double tap and pinching should be available options.
people generally do want MT in their browser; how else could u explain the recent popularity of dolphin? why would a hacker try to enable browser MT if people did not want it?
the last thing i wanna remind you is that MT through native support is smoother and more standardized across apps than 3d party MT. so if your phone's hardware supports the real deal, why should u get a second rate deal like the one offered my 3d party apps? why? if palm, non-u.s androids, and apple can do it, why cant we?

You're really grasping at straws now and posting just your opinion. Pinch to zoom is more accurate? Really?

Give it a rest man. Multi touch is a minor, coolness affect feature, that is useless 90% of the time. I'll take multitasking over multi-touch anyday. Android has some real issues that need to be fixed, but providing multi touch is not one of them in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Ok, Pinch to zoom is OK. I prefer the way it is. Here's the reason, when you double tap in the native browser it brings the focus to the correct screen size. i find that with my iPhone i have to move in and out every so slightly until i get it where it should be. for the people that like it there are options. To say that android needs P to Z more than the iPhone needs multitasking is just a false statement.

Personally i find it humorous that people that have just an iPhone an bash the Android system and have only a collective few hours or a day with the system. same goes for people with android or BB. If you want a true comparison buy both devices use them for a month or two everyday then sell the one that you don't like.

Upvote 0
So I've had my n1 since december (hubby works for google). Had the Iphone htc hero and bb 9000, and to be honest each one has its perks and cons, but the lack of multitouch on the n1 is by far the least of its issues especially compared to the lack of the ability to multi-task on the Iphone. That's not even a fair comparison.

just my .02

Upvote 0
Ok, Pinch to zoom is OK. I prefer the way it is. Here's the reason, when you double tap in the native browser it brings the focus to the correct screen size. i find that with my iPhone i have to move in and out every so slightly until i get it where it should be. for the people that like it there are options. To say that android needs P to Z more than the iPhone needs multitasking is just a false statement.

Personally i find it humorous that people that have just an iPhone an bash the Android system and have only a collective few hours or a day with the system. same goes for people with android or BB. If you want a true comparison buy both devices use them for a month or two everyday then sell the one that you don't like.

Spot on. My friend and I both had Nexus Ones and Iphones at the same time, for comparison. It is a VERY close call, but in the end, we both ended up with N1s, selling the iPhones.

To give the Android-basher some credit:

1) MT is great for some games (but I don't play any games).
2) Google should have had it as an *option* for at least a couple stock apps. I wouldn't use it, but it would have shut people up. But if they had made MT the default with no option to switch to double-click zoom, *I* would be the one bitching...

Upvote 0
Spot on. My friend and I both had Nexus Ones and Iphones at the same time, for comparison. It is a VERY close call, but in the end, we both ended up with N1s, selling the iPhones.

To give the Android-basher some credit:

1) MT is great for some games (but I don't play any games).
2) Google should have had it as an *option* for at least a couple stock apps. I wouldn't use it, but it would have shut people up. But if they had made MT the default with no option to switch to double-click zoom, *I* would be the one bitching...

android-basher!!... lolz..... awesome nickname for me. seriously, it just sounds great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones