• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Full screen ad pop up when unlocking phone

Jnovi

Lurker
Oct 28, 2017
For the last 2 months or so, about one in 10 times that I unlock my phone, as soon as it passes the lock screen I'm greeted with a full page pop up ad. The ad is always for some google-looking app and is presented by Google adsense. I have gone into my Google account and removed as much targeted advertising as I can but 1 in 10 times is getting very annoying. I don't recall installing any new apps in that time so I don't know how to stop these ads.

Can anyone please help

Did you download any flashlight, cleaning apps, antivirus, or any similar apps? Those tend to send full page annoying ads

I've had the same flashlight app for about a year and the ads didn't start until about a month ago, and I don't have any of those other one either.

My wife told me her galaxy s7 started doing it too about a week ago when she finally updated her apps (all 41, she never updates anything and it drives me nuts).

So I feel like it's a relatively common app pushing the ads or the os since our phones are pretty different on what's downloaded, like I don't have Facebook and she does on hers, and the only 2 games I have have been on my phone for about 2 years so it's very confusing what's causing it and frustrating.

Hope the extra info helps

Upvote 0
I've had the same flashlight app for about a year and the ads didn't start until about a month ago, and I don't have any of those other one either.

Check the permissions of that flashlight app. It should only have turn camera LED on, and maybe prevent device sleeping, that's it. If you see things like full internet access, receive from remote server, view networks, suggest you unistall it as it's very likely spyware and is possibly doing the ads. Could be it got updated to include adware.

Upvote 0
For the last 2 months or so, about one in 10 times that I unlock my phone, as soon as it passes the lock screen I'm greeted with a full page pop up ad. The ad is always for some google-looking app and is presented by Google adsense. I have gone into my Google account and removed as much targeted advertising as I can but 1 in 10 times is getting very annoying. I don't recall installing any new apps in that time so I don't know how to stop these ads.

Can anyone please help

Go into "Settings" then stroll until you see "G" Google Apps and look to see what you have connected to your device. In there may lye your culprit if it's not a launcher that you have installed that carries a lot of ads

Upvote 0
The same thing happened to me and it drove me insane. Okay so this is how you solve it. You know the home button on the bottom in the middle, well when the ad comes up push the square icon on the left next to the home button, this will minimize the ad. Once you do this keep your finger down on the minimized app and it will tell you the app that is causing the issue. For me it was an unzip app I downloaded from Google play. Once you delete that app the ads will immediately stop. It took me two weeks to figure it out.

Upvote 0
Hey (SAMSUNG GALAXY S7)
I have the same problem. The point is I didn't install any apps at all in the last 4 days.
This annoying ads pops up even when somebody is calling me.
As u can see in the img uploaded, I pressed the left button, multi-windows App to close them, and did a screenshot. The logo it's sort of a green "N" (Nougat logo).
Malwarebytes and Adguard didn't solve the problem so what I did was uninstalling apps that didn't come with the phone. We'll see if those bloody ads will still bothering me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180212-183446.png
    Screenshot_20180212-183446.png
    210.7 KB · Views: 1,040
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did what someone else recommended when it came up and hit the menu button next to the home button on the bottom left and it said the ads I was seeing were coming from the native samsung internet browser. I never use that browser, I always use chrome, but when ever someone texts me a link it always opens in the samsung one for some reason, and when I use that browser a few days following I get the pop ups.

So for my problem its the native browser, which conveniently has no way of disabling and I can't get the messaging app to stop using it (and I don't want to change messaging apps because its a pain in the ass)

Upvote 0
I did what someone else recommended when it came up and hit the menu button next to the home button on the bottom left and it said the ads I was seeing were coming from the native samsung internet browser.

I can confirm this behavior. The pre-installed Samsung Internet browser on my S6 occasionally (not often) displays a full-screen ad when I unlock the device. It's been doing this for the past month or so. I *never* use that browser -- only Chrome and Firefox. I'm not seeing anyone else report this behavior which leaves me wondering if Samsung is testing a limited roll-out; that or I have unwittingly enabled an ad setting somewhere.

Upvote 0
So for my problem its the native browser, which conveniently has no way of disabling and I can't get the messaging app to stop using it (and I don't want to change messaging apps because its a pain in the ass)
I think the problem is not the native browser, all those ads are just opened with that browser.
Those shits are not bothering me anymore, what I did was uninstalling few apps. One of the apps was a mp3 player, even if I had that app since I get the phone...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones