• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Fully Working Unbrick/Factory Reset Method Incl. System apps & Sprint

n0ve

Android Expert
Feb 21, 2012
Upstate New York
To all who either want to do a true factory reset...or you are stuck in a bootloop/can't get past LG logo...and realize that lg mobile support tool never works...i finally got a method together. Will post detailed step by step instructions w. Screenshots when i get home. Hope this helps many of you.

So, at this point my phone wouldnt boot past LG logo, and even in the past i was unable to do a true factory restore,
including system apps/data and the stock sprint apps..anyway this is how i was able to.
A- Find stock firmware, many ways of doing this, there are firmware files floating around...
, the mobile support tool actually does download the firmware but won't load it to phone
(don't know why, many have had this issue, something to do with lg server), so for those
of you who have unsucessfully used the mobile support tool to restore, go to c:\programdata\LG\LGMOBILEAX\PHONE\
(FOLDER IS HIDDEN, SO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SHOW HIDDEN FILES ENABLED.
B- This software tool, will automaticlaly download the recent stock firmware, once you enter phone model and S/n
download link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65761686/Original LG Firmware.exe
(original source http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1073827)
c- The option i find most useful...b/c it has other uses/ available for any LG phone...
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=12345678910
(REPLACE ESN=12345678910 W/ YOUR PHONES ESN HEX. PRIOR TO PRESSING ENTER)
LG1.png

PAGE SHOULD LOAD W/ TWO LINKS, BUT TO BE SAFE + TO GET MORE NECESSARY PHONE INFO, RIGHT CLICK ANYWHERE BLANK
AND LEFT CLICK ON VIEW SOURCE.
**I SUGGEST TAKING A PRINT SCREEN OF THE SOURCE.**
lg2.png

NOW ID ASSUME ALL OF OUR PHONES ARE GOING TO HAVE THE SAME FIRMWARE LINK WHICH YOU'LL SEE AS:
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGLS840/ASPRTN/LS840ZVD_02/LS840ZVD_02.SD_02.P25002.cab
(DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK TO 225 mb FIRMWARE .CAB)

BEFORE MOVING ON, I SUGGEST UNINSTALLING ALL LG MOBILE TOOLS, ALL LG DRIVERS, AND REINSTALLING.
ALSO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ADB INSTALLED. ALSO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL MSXML 4.0 PARSER : https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65761686/msxml.msi
AND EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE YOUR DRIVERS INSTALLED, DOWNLOAD THIS ZIP I COMPILED: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65761686/LGDRIVERS.ZIP
AND SEPARATELY INSTALL ALL 3 DRIVERS. (THIS MAY NOT BE NEEDED, BUT I DONT HAVE TIME TO TEST), CAN'T HURT.

Now that you have your firmware.cab...
Download LG Utils: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65761686/LG-Utils-kp500_ks360.rar
unzip, and cut/paste your firmware.bin in the extracted folder.
1- Right click KP500-UTILS-EN, Run as Administrator ((***Disable antivirus prior to starting**))
2- Choose option j- fLASH WITH ASSIST.
3- foLLOW ALL PROMPTS , aNY INFO IT MAY ASK FOR IS EITHER FROM YOUR PAGE SOURCE EARLIER (WHICH IS BASIC
PHONE INFO ANYWAY), WHEN IT ASKS FOR THE FILE LOCATION OF YOUR CAB, ENTER WHEREVER YOU EXTRACTED THE lgUTILS AND
PASTED THE FIRMWARE.CAB (LS840ZVD_02.SD_02.P250 )
4- You should be launched into the mobile support tool, but automatically should start updating...To begin you do
need to be in download mode, battery pull, unplug, battery insert, vol + and PWR together, halfway through the flash
the tool will give you an error and its all in ??? ??? ???'s, (for me at least),.
5- At this point, you pull battery and try a normal boot, clicking the restart button, to allow the flash to continue
it will then automatically reboot into download mode again, then finally reboot into your freshly installed stock
viper 4g lte.

***here's the deal...I had been trying numerous methods, KDZ FW updater, modifying hosts files, using Small HTTP, WIndows Enable
therefore, I'm 99.9% sure all that was necessary were these steps, if anyone runs into problems, they may need to be running
windows enabler, MULTIPLE DRIVERS, hopefully this guick guide im writing at 3 am is precise enough, will fine tune soon***
good luck all., don't hesitate to let me know if you run into issues.

This method does work to unbrick phone great job. tested and comfirmed

Technically the LG tool alone is supposed to do this, I'm not fully sure what the issue is though, some claim its win 7 64 bit thing, ive tried on many OS....i believe it has something to do with LG trying to keep the tool for strictly update purposes and not recovery.

Upvote 0
Technically the LG tool alone is supposed to do this, I'm not fully sure what the issue is though, some claim its win 7 64 bit thing, ive tried on many OS....i believe it has something to do with LG trying to keep the tool for strictly update purposes and not recovery.
LG Mobile Support Tools is just for updates, once you are on the latest it will not do anything for ya... unless you trick it into thinking you are on a previous fw version. This was accomplished for the Esteem by starting the process on a out of date fw and then interrupting it and saving it all to a vm image. All unnecessary IMO as we have the tot for the Esteem, but hey some ppl like doing shyt the hard way lol.

I am uploading the tot for the vipe as I type this and a hacked dll if anyone is willing to test it out.

Reactions: RedBunnyJAV
Upvote 0
LG Mobile Support Tools is just for updates, once you are on the latest it will not do anything for ya... unless you trick it into thinking you are on a previous fw version. This was accomplished for the Esteem by starting the process on a out of date fw and then interrupting it and saving it all to a vm image. All unnecessary IMO as we have the tot for the Esteem, but hey some ppl like doing shyt the hard way lol.

I am uploading the tot for the vipe as I type this and a hacked dll if anyone is willing to test it out.

Its stupid though that the lg tool offers a factory reset that doesn't work unless you do it as stated above..i have the .tot as well but couldn't get a working .dll ...I'm glad you got one to test maybe i will later...what's the status of cwm..thoughts as to what's causing the bugs? It looks rock solid to me..

Edit: part of the tool offers factory reset regardless of current firmware...guess they just too lazy to remove it.

Upvote 0

Of course it's unnecessary... what I shared just allows a brick restore/factory reset without any of the that interrupting / vm that prior to, we had none. at that point we still had no. dll to work with the. tot. I know I'm not on your level dev wise but let's work together. my question remains any idea why your beta cwm isn't functioning properly?

Upvote 0
i will test when the tot and dll is uploaded. I am guessing will be using lgpst program

Of course it's unnecessary... what I shared just allows a brick restore/factory reset without any of the that interrupting / vm that prior to, we had none. at that point we still had no. dll to work with the. tot. I know I'm not on your level dev wise but let's work together. my question remains any idea why your beta cwm isn't functioning properly?

*bangs head into desk, repeating, 'work tired brain, work!'*.. lol

Looks like I prematurely answered both of your PMs because it's all right here, lol. I couldn't find this thread before I posted those (again, tired brain), or I would have just responded here.

n0ve! AWESOME job, homie!! Glad you found SOMEthing that worked!! :D

I just hope ryan can follow it and get his going again.. I feel bad.. because I haven't been able to help much lately..

PG, I'm with n0ve on his question, any update on a workable cwmr? I tried one I had made, and couldn't get it to boot any way that I tried, and by all intents and purposes, it should have worked..

Well folks, I'm more active now, because I lost that job.. Working both on this and my ns4g now. I'm on stock, rooted, ICS, and trying to get the JB update to go manually.. Kind of how I got the ota update to work on the Viper (check AC (like this place, but 'central' instead of 'forums') under my username wickid_d), but not as easy with my phone. Anyway, that's another story for another time..

Ugh.. brain is starting to sleep.. I'll catch you all later!

Again, awesome job n0ve! :)

~WickiD~

Reactions: n0ve
Upvote 0
Great write up n0ve! I am still struggling to get a soft bricked viper restored and running :( Phone originally was bricked with a CWM loop. Ran the zip to fix that now just need the os reloaded.

In these steps...

"Now that you have your firmware.cab...
unzip, and cut/paste your firmware.bin in the extracted folder"

Is there in fact a .cab and .bin of the file? and in the command prompts think you could send me some screen shots? What is the correct SW version.

I can get the phone into download mode but the LG software wont connect right. I have uninstalled all lg drivers and reinstalled i feel it is somewhere in the command promts or the actual firmware.cab/firmware.bin file i have.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
It is so funny that LG will remove the tot and dll during recovery phone on lg support tools for customer. that is the big problem we have the flashing software. the dll is very important it tells the phone the settings too write certain things. I know PG has the tot file. If he can go back where he found the tot I am sure the dll is there. then people can really get there phones back too true form

Upvote 0
It is so funny that LG will remove the tot and dll during recovery phone on lg support tools for customer. that is the big problem we have the flashing software. the dll is very important it tells the phone the settings too write certain things. I know PG has the tot file. If he can go back where he found the tot I am sure the dll is there. then people can really get there phones back too true form

It's not that simple lol...and as for now..my method does get your phone back to 100 percent how, it was when you left the store. Anyway getting a working CWM is most important at this moment.

Upvote 0
what do you mean by this ,... ?

Now that you have your firmware.cab...
unzip, and cut/paste your firmware.bin in the extracted folder.

What am i cutting and pasting and in which folder do I put the bin ,...?

Also to let you know i tried your and it never went past 30% i kept getting errors, then I dound a forum for lg - optimus and it was real similar to yours and it got me booted,... then i screwed around again with the cwmrecoveries but i chmod 'ed too much and it got me into another boot loop.... anyways im bricked again and this time neither yours the one i used earlier today or the updater tool is working for me. So im wondering if some of these little nuonses will work,.....

also is this the file your talking about? The dll ?

LS840_WD_1_0_0_0.dll

Anyways if you could clarrify that ,...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones