• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Funny how v3 leakers are rooting with replacements now

Easy. Tell them your phone goes silent when trying to make calls or receive calls. You read it was a bug or something and give a line about 1.5 being better and wish you could go back. They'll replace your phone. If it's got 1.5 you can root easily. If it has 2.1 check the HBOOT first to make sure it's not a leak. If not you can root.

Upvote 0
I'm one of them but thought it was interesting to see some of the most active users who jumped at V3 leak went root. Don't blame anyone for doing it either. :D
Of course they are... The leakers are the tinkerers with phones that can't sit idle and they just can't be happy with what they have, because to sit on the sidelines with something they can muck with is just plain boring... Always looking for the next best thing while ignoring the potential consequences.

I should know... I'm a card carrying member :D

Upvote 0
Of course they are... The leakers are the tinkerers with phones that can't sit idle and they just can't be happy with what they have, because to sit on the sidelines with something they can muck with is just plain boring... Always looking for the next best thing while ignoring the potential consequences.

I should know... I'm a card carrying member :D

Right there with ya. I don't think it's funny that I received a replacement, but I do smile on occasion. ;)

Upvote 0
I get my replacement tomorrow as well. Lol

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

I know there will come a time when all new phones will be carrying 1.49... I'm praying that time isn't now. I guess ultimately, as long as it works, doesn't have silent issues, and seems less laggy, I'll be "happy" either way. I could always spend my time trying to figure out Sweeter Home if my urge to tweak becomes too overwhelming.

Upvote 0
When I got my replacement, after doing the OTA upgrade, I actually kept it on stock 2.1 for about a week and a half before I decided to root. (The purpose of replacing the phone wasn't specifically so that I could root, but rather to get away from the silent call bug.) The phone was much less buggy than the previous phone, so I'm glad I got the replacement. And then I rooted, mostly for the purpose of overclocking. (Running Eris_Official 1.0 + zanfur's kernel now, although I've also tried White Widow 4.0b3 and TaintedVanilla 1.4 + JIT.) My favorite feature of having root, though, is the NAND backup.

Upvote 0
Forgive me if this question is stupid, but did you guys call Verizon for a replacement, or HTC? :thinking:

Also, I haven't been around the forums much lately, so I feel a bit out of the loop and behind on what's been going on lol.

Verizon. And I don't have the insurance, but I do have the extended warranty. However, the phone has a 1-year warranty included, so I don't even think you need to have the extended warranty in order to have Verizon replace it. However, I do think you need to have bought it from Verizon directly in order to have them handle the replacement. If you buy from Best Buy, you go to Best Buy. If you bought on eBay... maybe try Verizon but I suspect they'll make you call HTC.

Upvote 0
i wanted root too much to stay with v3. Having the ability to jump rom to rom was just too much to pass up.

For those that have gotten replacements, what ROMS are you running?
Haven't done it yet, but assuming I get the BL 1.47 with my new one (knock on wood), I'm pretty sure that based on what everyone's saying, I will go with the ITS rom.

Upvote 0
Verizon. And I don't have the insurance, but I do have the extended warranty. However, the phone has a 1-year warranty included, so I don't even think you need to have the extended warranty in order to have Verizon replace it. However, I do think you need to have bought it from Verizon directly in order to have them handle the replacement. If you buy from Best Buy, you go to Best Buy. If you bought on eBay... maybe try Verizon but I suspect they'll make you call HTC.

Thanks. This makes sense. Sometimes the obvious escapes me :eek: lol

Upvote 0
Haven't done it yet, but assuming I get the BL 1.47 with my new one (knock on wood), I'm pretty sure that based on what everyone's saying, I will go with the ITS rom.

make sure you try out different roms. I've been rooted a few days and try a new one everyday. Of course my other roms are NAND backed so i can jump around. So far i've tried:

White Widow 3.1
ErisLighteningBolt
Irc3
Zen
Aloysius

my two favorite are WW and Aloysius, and currently I'm trying to get someone to help me disable Sense in Aloysius and enable OC patch and JIT

Upvote 0
make sure you try out different roms. I've been rooted a few days and try a new one everyday. Of course my other roms are NAND backed so i can jump around. So far i've tried:

White Widow 3.1
ErisLighteningBolt
Irc3
Zen
Aloysius

my two favorite are WW and Aloysius, and currently I'm trying to get someone to help me disable Sense in Aloysius and enable OC patch and JIT
My bad... It was IC3 that was making all the noise, but if it's that easy, I'll be likely flipping them back and forth to get a feel for them.

Upvote 0
Sense-able 3.1 ROM. Been great! Although I want to try Evil Eris soon.

Todays battery is 4 hours off charger and one tick off the battery. I've used it for acouple calls and emails. At this rate it will last till mid day tomorrow at least. This was never a possibility before root.

NAND backup is good to have. Smart.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones