• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Future EVO owner!

I just ordered an EVO from RadioShack.com and I can't wait till this phone arrives! Luckily, my one year upgrade/discount came up and being a Sprint Premier member I got the full disount! I currently use the Sprint HTC Hero rooted and using Cyanogen. I heard the EVO was a beast but after playing with a friend's EVO, I was sold!

Its going to be unrooted after activation but I can't decide which mod to run. AOSP, Cyanogen, etc. Which do you guys prefer?

It all depends on what you want your EVO to do. Some want better performance while others want better battery life.

I went in the middle and ended up with Azrael 4.0 with an Over Clock of 1152MHz using Netarchy 4.3.2 More HAVS-CFS-SBC kernel. I also went with Launcher Pro Plus and Froze my Sense while removing all bloatware. Iv never had an issue with this set up.

Others prefer Cyanogen and others like Myns. I suggest test them all until you get something your comfortable with. Coming from the Hero you will love the speed and how smooth the evo really is.

My GF currently has the hero and the differences is very dramatic!

Upvote 0
Explanation on the lingo in there? 'HAVS' 'CFS' 'SBC'
Here is some good information for you.

HOW? I've got Azrael 4.0 also and don't know how to remove the Sprint crap...

You can freeze bloatware with titanium backup. See the Rooting for Dummies guide sticky for a list of safe bloatware to remove. Doesn't Azrael already have a bunch of stuff removed? What do you want removed?

Upvote 0
Edit: Akazabam apparently types faster and clearly doesn't have children demanding help with homework in mid-response! Haha.

Explanation on the lingo in there? 'HAVS' 'CFS' 'SBC'

Taken from the kernel developer's thread on XDAdevelopers forums:

Havs: Hybrid Adaptive Voltage Scaling, basically tries to undervolt as much as possible to conserve power, but adapts to things like cpu load and temperature.

No Havs: Static voltage scaling, every cpu speed pulls a specific amount of power from the battery, no variation

CFS: Completely Fair Scheduler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BFS: Brain **** Scheduler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The whole release thread is HERE.

HOW? I've got Azrael 4.0 also and don't know how to remove the Sprint crap...

I don't think I Want My Evo actually removed the Sprint bloat -- you can't do that without flashing a different ROM. It sounds to me like he froze them, meaning he used an app (like Titanium Backup, etc.) to "freeze" the app so that it will not load, startup, or be visible on your phone. It puts the bloat out of sight and out of mind, but it's still there. To completely get rid of it, but still be mostly "stock", you'll want to flash one of the "stock-ish" ROMs out there. Everything will end up looking and mostly behaving stock, but all the Sprint bloat will be gone (and there's typically behind the scenes improvements/enhancements, too).

Upvote 0
Doesn't Azrael already have a bunch of stuff removed? What do you want removed?
Not as much as the Fresh ROM (Fresh has every Sprint App off and available as an apk on the SD CARD)

Azrael still has:

Sprint Zone
Sprint TV
Sprint Football
Sprint Hotspot

I'd also like to see gone:

HTC Mobile Guide
Friendstream
Footprints
FM Radio
Flashlight
Car Panel
Talk

These apps are fine to install off the APK, but lets clean up the ROM's!

Upvote 0
Not as much as the Fresh ROM (Fresh has every Sprint App off and available as an apk on the SD CARD)

Azrael still has:

Sprint Zone
Sprint TV
Sprint Football
Sprint Hotspot

I'd also like to see gone:

HTC Mobile Guide
Friendstream
Footprints
FM Radio
Flashlight
Car Panel
Talk

These apps are fine to install off the APK, but lets clean up the ROM's!

You can definitely get rid of the Sprint stuff. The rest of the stuff you mentioned should be fine, but if you remove Friendstream, you could have syncing issues with Facebook and/or twitter, if you use them. Also, there might be a problem with removing footprints (I forget off the top of my head). You can either use Titanium backup to free those apps (see the instructions in the Rooting for Dummies guide), or you can use root explorer. If you use root explorer, find the apk for each app in /system/app, then rename the extension from .apk to .bak. That way, if you remove something you shouldn't have, you can just change it back to .apk. Make a nandroid backup before doing anything.

Upvote 0
Well, I went back to the Fresh ROM again...IMO it is the most stable ROM out there. I also put on the Netarchy Kernel, AvantGarde Book font.

It looks great and its stable. I've never had a random reboot or a lockup with this combination.

I've had lockup issues with Azrael rebooting in Youtube, and Cyanogen isn't really a standard Android rom (more of a modified rom with ADW Launcher).

I suggest using the Fresh ROM: Geek For Me

Upvote 0
I don't think I Want My Evo actually removed the Sprint bloat -- you can't do that without flashing a different ROM. It sounds to me like he froze them, meaning he used an app (like Titanium Backup, etc.) to "freeze" the app so that it will not load, startup, or be visible on your phone. It puts the bloat out of sight and out of mind, but it's still there. To completely get rid of it, but still be mostly "stock", you'll want to flash one of the "stock-ish" ROMs out there. Everything will end up looking and mostly behaving stock, but all the Sprint bloat will be gone (and there's typically behind the scenes improvements/enhancements, too).

No, i meant i what i said. I loaded Azrael 4.0, I froze Sense and deleted bloatcrap. I then upgraded Titanium to the paid version (Not sure if your able to delete with free version). To delete is the same process as freezing an app. Once TB is open click on (Backup/ Restore) click the program you want removed then hit the "Un-install!" button.

I ended up removing Peeps, Twitter, Gtalk, Sprint TV, Sprint Football, News and other various things. Yes, i could have frozen them so that i can defrost them if i ever needed them, but at that point id rather restore my Nand or restore using my TB back up of those programs.

Upvote 0
No, i meant i what i said. I loaded Azrael 4.0, I froze Sense and deleted bloatcrap. I then upgraded Titanium to the paid version (Not sure if your able to delete with free version). To delete is the same process as freezing an app. Once TB is open click on (Backup/ Restore) click the program you want removed then hit the "Un-install!" button.

I ended up removing Peeps, Twitter, Gtalk, Sprint TV, Sprint Football, News and other various things. Yes, i could have frozen them so that i can defrost them if i ever needed them, but at that point id rather restore my Nand or restore using my TB back up of those programs.

If I'm not mistaken, deleting GTalk is huge no no:eek:

Upvote 0

Craziness! Learn something new every day! I was told they could just be frozen, even after rooting, and not really installed. Good to know and I stand corrected!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones