• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FXCamera or Camera ZOOM FX ???

Matt_S

Lurker
Oct 19, 2009
I've been using FXCamera for a few weeks now it takes great pictures on my phone, with cool effects like fisheye and the warholizer.

FxCamera

Just noticed that androidslide has released a version of their Camera ZOOM FX application which has 40 photo FX, geotagging and obviously zoom which I can't do at the moment in FXCamera.

Camera ZOOM FX

Just wondering if anyone had a chance to look at either of these apps and which they think is best, because I've been hoping for some new effects for a while and the androidslide app sounds worth a look.

I think you have answered your own question ...

Camera ZOOM FX has 40 effects, way more than FXCamera. I've been using the new update for a couple of days and would say the filmreel and color effects are amazing! Fisheye works well too.

As for all the other features, Camera ZOOM FX has been around for a long while now and it probably has more features than any other camera app, so you can't really go wrong.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Upvote 0
Thanks Lee. Been playing with Camera ZOOM FX for a couple of days - definitely the one to go for!

A really good selection of photo FX - they are all pretty quick and the quality seems better than on FXCamera which has some kind of distortion pattern on most pictures.

Its a shame Camera ZOOM FX doesn't have the manual focus button though, but maybe they'll add it, but it does have loads of features like zoom (obviously), geotagging, auto-save, so its a pretty amazing app overall!

FXCamera is still good for a free app, so I'd recommend that if you just want basic effects.

Upvote 0
I have Droid Eris, and the only thing I can find in the Marketplace for Camera ZOOM is all of the skins and extras. Can't find the app anywhere. Even searched for Androidslide.

Any ideas how to get an app if you can't find it in the Marketplace?

And I had tried FXCamera, it seemed OK. But it was limited to very low resolution. Does Camera ZOOM FX have the same limitation on resolution?

THANKS!

Upvote 0
Hi,

I bought the Camera Zoom FX app today. Just got the phone this weekend but this app seemed pretty highly regarded. I took a few pics and even with the stock camera just seems like i am getting a lot of interferance and quailty is not that good.

While using it just use normal mode i assume for taking regular pics? Did you change any menu settings?

Also did i read someplace i have to change some settings if i am email or texting this pics since it downsizes/downgrades the resolution, what is your preferred way to get them off the phone?

Thanks

Upvote 0
We are the developers of Camera ZOOM FX and are happy to answer any questions you have on the app or respond to any new feature requests.

Regarding picture size, this is configurable in the settings menu - it will let you specify up to the maximum resolution available for your phone model, e.g. 2048 x 1536 (G1) or 2592 x 1936 (Droid).

Pictures are only reduced in resolution if you add any special effects or overlays. E-mailed pictures will maintain their resolution.

There is in additional option within the app to perform a 1-click upload to any social networking site (Facebook, Flickr, Twitter) - these pictures have to be slightly reduced in size for performance reasons but display very well on the web.

Geotagging is also available from the settings menu. It is available on all pictures except those using effects or overlays. We will add geotagging for all types of pictures in the near future.

Camera ZOOM FX for Droid should be available in the next 3 days.

Upvote 0
Droid version now available on market (free update) - full details on our website :

Camera ZOOM FX | androidslide

czfeatures.jpg

Upvote 0
I love my droid but I have to say I am shocked at how bad the camera is. I came from an iphone, only 3 megapixels, no flash and yet it took fabulous photos. Just fabulous. The Droid's camera - it is awful. Now - I've never used it outside. All the shots have been indoors in various lights. But I am shocked at how "off" the color is, how off the depth of field is, how off the sharpness of focus is - it is really a terrible camera - I suppose one might say they just chose terrible optics. It must surely be about optics.

Do you guys think these optics problems will be addressed with "updates?" I don't really see how they can be. They "fixed" the autofocus so now that "works." But it doesn't really. There is no crispness. I find it fascinating that the iphone could take indoor photos so well with no flash. Well that's about shutter speed auto adjustment. Somehow the Droid's camera doesn't seem to have that - perhaps because it does have a flash. I see numerous apps to download. I did download picsay pro but that's about doing something more with a photo you've taken. I want an app that is about actually taking a great photo indoors. And I am not talking about "in a bar or a really dark room." I'm talking about in my front room with numerous lights on but certainly not "daylight" conditions. Help? I love my Droid - sure would like to take photos on the fly and email and mms them.

Reactions: marklaing
Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm using Camera Zoom FX too, Great app, just 2 questions though.
I'm using the Samsung Galaxy, but there are two things I can't seem to work out how to do..
1) Disable shutter sound - I unchecked it, but it still plays the sound. It's not like I'm taking upskirt pics, but that shutter sound is pretty loud and quite annoying.
2) Is there a way to toggle the flash/red eye reduction?

Any help will be much appreciated, THANKS!

Upvote 0
Well, I finally found Camera Zoom FX for my Eris and have been comparing against the FXCamera app. For taking quick processed photos, I'm not as impressed as I thought I'd be. It appears to still downsample the image when you use any kind of effect, so that isn't an advantage over the small images that FXCamera produces.

It looks like Camera Zoom FX might be better for taking normal photos than the built-in app, not sure. But the most useful effect I would usually use is called 'Toy Camera' in FXCamera. This makes it look like an old toy or lomo camera, and is kind of nice for otherwise boring shots. I haven't found a way to really duplicate this effect in Camera Zoom FX. It has a cross-process effect, but it makes the shots way too blue overall. And I can't see a way to apply a vignette at the same time. So I'll usually prefer FXCamera for 'effected' shots.

However, I've briefly played with an app called PicSay. It looks REALLY nice and powerful for adding effects after the shot. May use the built-in app or Camera Zoom FX in normal mode, then use PicSay to do effects.

Upvote 0
All the apps I have seen that perform post fx on photos downsample - someone talked about this on another thread, including PicSay, etc.

I like the choice of effects on Camera ZOOM - FXCamera only has 4 or 5 main ones, whereas Camera ZOOM has got loads more and they keep adding new ones.

I have also been using Camera ZOOM's sound activation feature recently - its really good when you are taking group shots etc - someone just needs to clap, then it takes a picture!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones