1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

FYI about text messages

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by shaidtan, Sep 6, 2011.

1. shaidtan

shaidtan Member
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    So for anyone who doesn't know, AT&T now charges per-use fees for text messages they generate if you don't have a plan.

I just got off the phone with a rep. When I added a second line for my Mother months ago I requested the $5 text messaging plan be added. She had never sent a text so I didn't bother checking (paperless billing and autopay for the win) that they had actually added it. They hadn't. Now that I've realized, it's unlimited or nothing.

I use Google Voice and have for a while so I rarely get text messages. However beware. If you don't have a plan, and you dial *DATA#, you'll get a text and a $.20 charge. AT&T will then send you a text informing you that you're getting text messages and don't have a plan, which is another $.20. I got two of the latter last month and was charged for both.

I have a feeling they're going to be hearing from me a lot and this is going to weigh heavily when it comes time to decide whether or not to renew with them.

Advertisement

2. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    This is OLD practice for them. My ex-wife and I had this go-around with them back when it was still CINGULAR. That was 2006'ish.

Basically, AT&T (Then Cingular) has always charged per txt unless you have a plan.

3. shaidtan

shaidtan Member
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    The USSD messages are bad enough, but what really has me pissed is that they send advertisements and then charge for them; and they just increased the cost of the privilege of not being charged overages. Not only that but they screwed up my plan by not adding what I told them to.

4. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    I really hate when you're charged for receiving texts :/ Though technically they can't carge you unless you *open* the text. Well that's the case with my carrier. I'm not sure if AT&T does this.

Shaidtan, I moved your thread to the AT&T forum :)

5. shaidtan

shaidtan Member
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    Sorry about the wrong forum thing. I tend to not look beyond the one for the phone I happen to have at the time.

I plan on calling AT&T today and inquiring about blocking messages, etc. I'll report back my findings. With luck when I ask them to do something this time they'll actually do it.

6. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    No problem :) I just felt it's better in this forum, that's all.

7. shaidtan

shaidtan Member
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    A quick update. During a chat with AT&T they said that star option messages (such as *DATA#) should not incur charges, and neither should solicitation or billing/notification messages. They weren't sure why I wasn't charged for them, but a working theory is that the texts were too long and were fragmented between sender and receiver and charged multiple times as a result. Either way they were credited and will be in the future if they can't be explained.

Robby, I agree with you about Cingular. Worst company ever. I resisted going to AT&T for a very long time and only did because my girlfriend is there. For the most part they've been OK but they do have a tendency to screw up billing changes. That pretty much sucks when it ends up costing us extra money and definitely raises a red flag.