• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FYI: Changing LED Notification Light color based on App - Light Flow

ranova

Android Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2010
Light Flow (Lite Version, Full Version) works on the Atrix!

It allows you to pick a different color for each application when you get a notification (I set missed call to white, gmail to red, google talk to blue, and google voice to lime). It also works in succession, so if you get a notification from gmail, google talk, and a missed call it will blink red to blue to white.

No root is required. The Atrix can do about 10 or so colors.

This was one thing I missed from my Nexus One, now made possible!

The downside to this is that if theres an app that light flow does not support, you will not get ANY color for that app. Luckily my main apps I want notification lights from are Gmail, email, missed call, voicemail, google talk, and google voice.

The succession is somewhat weird. I think it blinks one color 4 times, then goes to the next. Has anyone noticed a pattern for the succession?

Overall, well worth the $1 for the app support. Based on reviews, the developer updates frequently, which seems true from the Appbrain History

Upvote 0
Light Flow (Lite Version, Full Version) works on the Atrix!

It allows you to pick a different color for each application when you get a notification (I set missed call to white, gmail to red, google talk to blue, and google voice to lime). It also works in succession, so if you get a notification from gmail, google talk, and a missed call it will blink red to blue to white.

No root is required. The Atrix can do about 10 or so colors.

This was one thing I missed from my Nexus One, now made possible!

Hi, I'm the developer of the app. If you want more features/app's adding post here and I'll add them to my list.

As for ranova's comment on the weird succession, generally by default the app will change the notification succession color ever 2.5 seconds while on charge and ever 5 seconds when on battery (that's the full version - the free version is once every 20 seconds)

It could change it even faster, but it would end up taking too much of a hit on the battery as it has to partially wake the phone each time the notification color changes. Battery use has been something I'm very aware of since day 1, so I'm keen not to add features that will hit the battery hard, but am happy to consider other features.

My first post here after being a member for nearly a year! I'm usually looking out for cool apps from other people. It's nice to see other people interested in my app. It's only 7 weeks today since my first android "Hello World" app!

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm the developer of the app. If you want more features/app's adding post here and I'll add them to my list.

I love the app and bought it and now I seem to have an issue that I'm not sure if its new or never worked.

The Atrix Stock Email is not causing an LED notification. Also I am looking at another Email App called Enhanced Exchange and its not on your list.

Any help would be great. FYI: I get my sound notification but not the LED.

Upvote 0
Yes i am aware of that on the atrix, I've been working with someone debugging it and it seems like motorola have changed the app slightly since the droid 1 & 2.
I've hopefully got a fix in the dev build which I'm hoping to release very soon.
I'll also see if i can add that exchange app into the checking process.
Cheers,
Andrew

Upvote 0
I love the app and bought it and now I seem to have an issue that I'm not sure if its new or never worked.

The Atrix Stock Email is not causing an LED notification. Also I am looking at another Email App called Enhanced Exchange and its not on your list.

Actually, can you provide a market link to that exchange app as i can't find it.

Upvote 0

you can use light flow to make the notification of the stock email app work. You can set it to vibrate, make a sound and show the led light. has worked well for me

Upvote 0
After reading through this thread last night and looking at the suggested apps I figured I'd study it more today. Turns out my Atrix already has different color notification flashes. Green for text, red for something(FB I think) and purple for email. I'm new to the 'Droid and am having fun with it but can someone please explain how this already works? Why is there an app needed if it's already in there?

Upvote 0
I was pretty excited about this app until I went to install it and saw the access it requires. I am not sure how I feel about giving unlimited access to all my texts and possible logging of anything I input including credit card numbers and the like. Is that really necessary?

I assume it's because the app needs to distinguish between the types of alerts you're receiving, but because I'm not sure, I'm not downloading it just yet.

Upvote 0
Gang,

I am very new to android (only had it a week) but I'm not sure I get the point of this app-- seems to me most apps already let you configure the color of the notification light for their own individual notifications....

Is it easier to use this via configurting them all in one place? Am i missing the point? Is this any different?

Thx!

Upvote 0
Gang,

I am very new to android (only had it a week) but I'm not sure I get the point of this app-- seems to me most apps already let you configure the color of the notification light for their own individual notifications....

Is it easier to use this via configurting them all in one place? Am i missing the point? Is this any different?

Thx!

Your Atrix must have features that mine doesn't. :p What apps have you been able to select the LED notification color for?

Upvote 0
I have been looking for an app like this since I switched over from a blackberry (with berrybuzz). I often like to have my phone on silent and know what type of message I have received only by looking at the LED.

So far the app shows promise, I have always had inconsistent results using missed call, blink, gmail notifier.

The customization and number of apps supported (skype) makes this app look very promising.

I am concerned about the permissions required and would like to see an update on that.

assuming the developer continuous to update and fix bugs I see a lot of potential here.

Light Flow is working reasonably well on my droid X which seems to have a fair number of supported colors in the LED.

Upvote 0
Is anyone (hello developer (andrewpmoore) I am looking at you) going to adress the required permissions on this app? I'd like to know why such extensive permissions are needed for an LED color changing app.

???????
This app checks the status of may applications. Im no developer but I assume ther eis a hook into each and every app that it has to read from.
It says that it needs to read yoru Gmail, well if yo ulook at the notification settings, it asks if you wnat ti to notify you of only PRIORITY items. cant do that without having access.

That's my 2C

Great app!
My money is now your money. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones