• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FYI - Swype Beta Updated for FROYO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine just flashes a blue box around the keyboard when i try to type...
Yeah, me too. It's ****ed up. Deselect and reselect every day after swapping bumped batteries. Lame. And after that NYTimes article they should have it much more together. And we have the mods ready to swype down with any links and delete them. Worst beta practice I've ever seen anywhere, anytime.

Upvote 0
After uninstalling my working Swype, clicking the link from the email in my Gmail app brought me to a page that said "sorry but this isn't an android device." I had to download the Dolphin browser and open it with that to get the download to even work.

Then, once I had downloaded it, I went through the whole set up process only to find that registration failed. After such annoyance I reverted back to my original beta, which was working fine save for the occasional reselecting input method to make it work. Lame.

Upvote 0
After updating to froyo, my swype will work after installed until the next reboot. then if I attempt to swype anything, I just get the blue border flash. I have to uninstall, then reinstall.

I've tried re-downloading the installer but that does not seem to make a difference.

Anyone else have this issue?

Upvote 0
After updating to froyo, my swype will work after installed until the next reboot. then if I attempt to swype anything, I just get the blue border flash. I have to uninstall, then reinstall.

I've tried re-downloading the installer but that does not seem to make a difference.

This is somewhat of a "known issue". See if you can still type normally on the swype keyboard when this happens. If so, usually just changing the input method from swype to touch input, then changing it back will correct this. That said, I haven't seen this issue yet after updating the the latest version of swype on Monday, and I was seeing it frequently before.

Also, you need to make sure that you uninstall both the swype-installer & swype, before attempting to update it.

Upvote 0

Anyone else have this issue?

I'm curious to see/learn that this was an issue on the previous build (for android 2.1) because i NEVER had an issue on 2.1. I did notice (for me anyway) that the issues with swype started when i rooted my phone, which i did yesterday morning. I am not sure if it would have happened anyway, but just something i noticed. Is anyone running into issues on a non-rooted Dinc?

Since then i have reinstalled and it temporarily fixed it, but then the key board froze up again, getting the blue box people have mentioned on here. It's nice that just reselecting swype works but it's already getting annoying. I have not particularly noticed the issues after a reboot, but now i will make sure i look for that. I believe most of my issues have been just random instances.

hope they get this worked out!

Upvote 0
After uninstalling my working Swype, clicking the link from the email in my Gmail app brought me to a page that said "sorry but this isn't an android device." I had to download the Dolphin browser and open it with that to get the download to even work.

Then, once I had downloaded it, I went through the whole set up process only to find that registration failed. After such annoyance I reverted back to my original beta, which was working fine save for the occasional reselecting input method to make it work. Lame.

In order to be recognized as an android device you can set your browser to "Mobile View" and it'll come right up.

Upvote 0
Just chiming in, as that I got the Beta users update email, followed instructions, and yes, I, too have to deselect/reselect swype as the input method after every power down.

As a side note, I am shocked at how adversely 2.2 has affected my battery life. I have made all practical adjustments, and monitored/uninstalled all possible hog apps and this just blows (sedidio 1750 battery)...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones