1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General G-1 on AT&T card with SIM swap

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by enderandrew, Jun 14, 2009.

1. enderandrew

enderandrew Lurker

Jun 14, 2009
    Can I purchase a G-1 from someone else, put in my SIM card from AT&T and then use the G-1 on AT&T?

My contract is up, and I can switch carriers, but T-Mobile doesn't have a store in Omaha, and their coverage is supposedly pretty rotten here.

I would much rather have a G-1 (and if you're looking to sell one, you can contact me via PM) but I may just end up buying an iPhone.

Advertisement

2. bollo

bollo Lurker

Feb 23, 2009
    You can use the G1 on AT&T. You will need a data plan on AT&T but you will not get G3 speed, only Edge.

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Lurker

Jun 14, 2009
    Thanks for the response. I found someone locally who wants to sell me their G-1 (precisely because we don't have decent T-Mobile coverage in Nebraska) but I'm still a little unsure about the process to get it working on AT&T. When my wife's phone died, she just bought a use phone on EBay, swapped the SIM card, and it just worked.

A Google search however about the G-1 and AT&T pointed me to someone saying I would need to purchase an unlock code from a website. Is this the case?

4. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember

Oct 18, 2008
    Yes. You will need to purchase an unlock code unless the person who you buy it from has previously unlocked it.

Tags: