• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

G/H Connectivity

Greetings

First post, with first droid phone, so here goes. IOW, a noob!!

I have had an HTC Desire for approximately 1 week and absolutely love it.

When I first got the phone, the connectivity was always H in the status bar, with very good I-net speed. For some reason, unbeknown to me, it is now a G, sometimes a 3G. The speed is still quite good though.

This 'change' would appear to have been since I received a text from T-Mobile (I'm aware of the 'G' issues on their forums) along the lines of '...they hoped I liked their new webpage. Now they have reverted to the original webpage I may have to re-load my favourites...'. I have not had to do this, thankfully.

Under Wireless & Networks, Wi-Fi is off, as I am on an 'unlimited' 3GB plan, and I am using GSM/WCDMA auto under Preferred network mode.

Questions: -

1. What is the difference between the three, namely H, 3G and G?
2. Which is quicker?
2. Can I change it back to H, if I wanted, as I believe it was quicker?
4. Sometimes, although not very often, the G, 3G and H disappear altogether and I am left with no connectivity at all. However, if I try to access the I-net, I can, and either the G, 3G or H appear again miraculously. Is there a particular reason for this?

Hope to hear from you experts soon and apologies for such basic questions, as I'm still getting used to using a droid. My last phone was a Nokia N95 2GB. HUGE difference!!

-Jazzdude-

PS If this is the wrong place to post this message, please accept my apologies. :)

Hi Jazzdude,

H (HSDPA) is the quickest at about 14Mbps but usually limited to 7.2 Mbps
Then 3G (3rd Generation) at about 3.6 Mbps
Then E (EDGE) at about 384 kbps
Then G (GPRS) at about 32 - 48 kbps

Your connection will change based on the best signal available. It will disappear when not being used to save power if you have 'Always on internet' unticked in your settings.

Reactions: Jazzdude
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones