• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

G-Mail App Updated in Market (2.2 Only)

mazz0310

Android Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2009
While this may not make a difference to us currently (without FroYo), The gmail app has been updated and placed in the market.

New Gmail App Lands on Android Market - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Changes:
As you scroll through a conversation, your most important message actions will now stick to the top of the screen, one click away, no matter how long the email is.
Very long thread? Now you can view previous message content more easily, just like in the desktop version of Gmail. Tap “Show quoted text” to reveal the previous message.
Finally, this updated version of the Gmail app has limited support for Priority Inbox. If you’ve enabled Priority Inbox via the desktop version of Gmail, you’ll see an “Important” label that shows all messages flagged as important. You can even add a shortcut to “Important” to your home screen.

While it's obviously good news they updated the gmail app, it's even better that it's in the market. When Android first started, the google apps were built into the phone (not on market) and the only way for those apps to be updated was through a software update (obviously come around rarely). With the apps showing up in the market it makes it easier for us to keep up applications up to date without having to wait for a software update.

I for one find this to be great news.

I too have had it for a while, but like I said in my post, it's not the fact that there was an update, the more important point is the number of google apps going into the market instead of being only system apps.

Thats a very good point I hadn't even considered. Now we can get updates on apps without having to wait for a system update. like the flash app. its been updated at least twice I believe

Upvote 0
Thats a very good point I hadn't even considered. Now we can get updates on apps without having to wait for a system update. like the flash app. its been updated at least twice I believe

Exactly, just like how google maps, started as a system only app, and we've had plenty of updates without waiting for a system updated. I remember it was a big deal when they would talk about fragmentation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones