• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help G-mail push e-mail sloooww lately?

I am still having issues with Gmail push. Occasionally I get the e-mails right away, most other times it takes hours still ...

I'm still wondering if it is regional because this stuff still has to go through routing stations. I'm in Cincinnati. It would be curious to map those who are having problems and those who are not. This might not be the answer but there has to be a reason. It can't be your settings or it wouldn't work ever.

Upvote 0
I've had this problem practically since i got this phone and i got it when it first came out. Exchanged it a couple days later because of a headphone jack issue which i found out later its an issue on all phones that now i just realized was fixed with 2.0.1 update, which is nice. But as far as the gmail push its the main thing concerning me I dont get my emails for hours or more, I literaly have to go and refresh it to get them. It really pisses me off that a phone developed by google cant even get its own mail server to push us our mail right away. Especially when my girlfriend has a blackberry and she gets hers immediately. Has anyone tried to contact google to make them aware of this problem and if not does anyone know how to go about doing so? Because i'm very sick of this and they should know. Oh, and if its a regional thing I live in the suburbs of Detroit.

Upvote 0
Well, as of today, my Gmail push seems to be restored. <holding my breathe>. We'll see how long it lasts this time. Been over a day now.

I love this phone, but I had really gotten used to that instant push, and missed it when it wasn't there. I know it's such a small thing for such a great phone, but it feels good to have it restored - at least for now ..

Upvote 0
I have had a bit of an issue with "push" gmail for awhile now. I got my droid on launch day. Whenever I send myself an email in gmail on the web, it takes up to a full 2 minutes or so to "push" to my phone. I just tried sending an email to myself from a different address and its the same story. Sometimes its quicker than other times, but it tends to be on the order of minutes. Meanwhile, the web client is much faster. I also notice the same issue with updating the status of mail. I'll archive something on the web client and it won't update the status in my phone.

Its really annoying. It feels more like pull email that updates every 3 minutes. The whole "auto-sync" thing just makes it sound like it really is pull and has to sync to get everything, hence the timestamps. Its pretty fast, but I don't consider a few minutes to be true push. I'm glad to hear its not just me though.

Everyone with this issue:
Go post at the bug report http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=5383

Don't forget to star it. Maybe if we get enough numbers we can get Google to do something about it. Or at least explain why this is happening.

Upvote 0

That was not my experience at all actually. I started this thread because I experienced a g-mail push issue much worse and very different than described above.

First, my problem started PRIOR to 2.01. And the problem isn't/wasn't that gmail push began to take 2 minutes, it was a change from instant to HOURS. While instant is obviously better than taking 2 minutes for push, that difference makes no real world difference to me personally.

In any case, my gmail push on the Droid originally worked just fine, then 1 day about a week prior to 2.01 started to take hours. The issue did not change at all with 2.01. Then it was just fixed as of a few days ago, and is working fine again, with no hint of why the issue started or stopped.

I am happy my push gmail is working again, for sure. But the issue described in the link above is separate from my issue completely, and not my experience at all ..

Upvote 0
I'm having this problem - have been for about a week now, and the autosync intervals seem to be getting longer and longer. It's taking HOURS to get anything to show up in my Gmail on its own (as well as Google calendar entries made on my PC). I am having to manually refresh/sync every hour or so to even get anything. .

Example: when I checked this morning, the last Gmail push was at 8:19 LAST NIGHT. When I pushed "sync now", 10 emails showed up. Google calendar wasn't much better, last sync was around midnight.

I have background data and auto sync checked, and cannot find a setting for sync intervals, but something has clearly changed, as I never had this problem before.

Anybody else having this problem still?

Upvote 0
That was not my experience at all actually. I started this thread because I experienced a g-mail push issue much worse and very different than described above.

First, my problem started PRIOR to 2.01. And the problem isn't/wasn't that gmail push began to take 2 minutes, it was a change from instant to HOURS. While instant is obviously better than taking 2 minutes for push, that difference makes no real world difference to me personally.

In any case, my gmail push on the Droid originally worked just fine, then 1 day about a week prior to 2.01 started to take hours. The issue did not change at all with 2.01. Then it was just fixed as of a few days ago, and is working fine again, with no hint of why the issue started or stopped.

I am happy my push gmail is working again, for sure. But the issue described in the link above is separate from my issue completely, and not my experience at all ..

Ah, sorry for posting on it then. I'll start a new report if I continue to experience the bug.

Although it may seem insignificant, a couple of minutes is hardly what I would call push, since a POP3/IMAP setup with 5 minute refresh time would easily mimic that (intermittent delays, all about a few minutes). My fathers blackberry is much faster than this. He often gets his email before the web client does.

Just now I archived an email on my phone. Then I logged into the web client to write up a longer email and noticed that the mail I just archived was still in my inbox. It's a little annoying that this "push" doesn't work as advertised.

Upvote 0
Ah, sorry for posting on it then. I'll start a new report if I continue to experience the bug.

Although it may seem insignificant, a couple of minutes is hardly what I would call push, since a POP3/IMAP setup with 5 minute refresh time would easily mimic that (intermittent delays, all about a few minutes). My fathers blackberry is much faster than this. He often gets his email before the web client does.

Just now I archived an email on my phone. Then I logged into the web client to write up a longer email and noticed that the mail I just archived was still in my inbox. It's a little annoying that this "push" doesn't work as advertised.

Mine is still back to perfect. For G-mail it's almost instant.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones