1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

G+ Messenger only does Hangouts

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Seanette, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert

I didn't even WANT the Hangouts app in the first place (much time and hassle recently to get rid of the 20+MB app I never use!), but fine, whatever, I'll install the stupid thing (sulk). Only reason I even installed the Google+ Messenger app is to get Location so I can set up something that passes for the function of Backitude, which we're losing in less than two weeks (and I just found out today!).

Signing out of Hangouts dumps me out of Messenger, and when I'm in Messenger I can only get at Hangouts, not Location! If you hear a lot of screaming and cursing and wondering when Macro$loth started running Google, that would probably be me.

Advertisement

2. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

Latitude is now Locations in Google+. If you go to the left tab of Google+ app you will see the Locations tab. There you can get to something similar to Latitude. Make sure you follow all the permissions etc.

I love the irony of the photo attached below that I see in my Google+. Left shows the two separate tabs of both Hangout and Messenger. Then when you click Messenger you get the right screen.

Attached Files:

3. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert

Update: got that "automatically shoves me into Hangouts" thing fixed. For now. This required an uninstall/reinstall of G+. I can't find anything location-related in that app, which is a whole different round of cursing.

4. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert

Finally located Locations. Map view only shows a grid, and I'm having much trouble getting the alleged workaround (which involves manually moving an apk into a directory that doesn't exist on this phone) to work.

5. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert

Update: making G+ a system app via Titanium Backup did the job. Now to get DH to set his up so we can swap locations.