• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root G.O.T. Version Check?

Twitch_City

Nov 8, 2010
Hey everyone! I figure I'll be posting a lot here as I learn the tips and tricks of my new phone (a Canadian Milestone). I bought the phone yesterday and, so far, I'm loving it.

It was advertised as already having been rooted, with Froyo 2.2.1 installed, as well as the G.O.T. ROM.

I've noticed a couple things so far:
1) I've check in the system settings and, according to About Phone > Android Version, it is running 2.2.1.
2) One thing that struck me as odd about this is that Froyo has a wireless hotspot feature, no? I was watching some videos and, on their phones, instead of saying "Tethering: Share your phone's mobile data connection via USB", it says something like "USB Tethering and Wireless Hot-spots". Is this because this isn't the official 2.2.1 but a port of it made for the Milestone?
3) Further, I don't know how to confirm that the latest version of G.O.T. is, in fact, installed. I did notice an application installed called "SuperUser Permissions" but when I launch it, all I get is a black screen. I don't know if that is normal or not (this is seriously my first Android device AND my first smartphone, so I'm reading lots but feeling like there is so much to learn). How can I check the version of G.O.T. installed? And what is the difference between G.O.T. and, for instance, Cyanogen?

Any advice would be REALLY appreciated!!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones