• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

g tablet vs netbook (help selecting tablet plz)

DireMerlin

Jan 14, 2011
Hi guys looking to get a tablet...or laptop...
WANT: smoewhat light weight (as in like under 7lbs) and a decent/big screen (7" is too small 10" seems about right)
USES: web surfing (like allot by wifi - watch video s from youtube, full flash ect) ebook reader, moderate word document, e-mail/calander/play games/listen to mp3/watch movies in a train ride

Originally i was thinking of getting like a full tablet laptop (hp tm2 or lenovo x201t) - being that i can also use Onenote to write down notes in classes - but too expencive

so i thought of tablets like ipad (dont want one too limited imo and expensive)

so far i like the viewsonic g tablet (after rooting - seems easy enough to do) - and i also like how it has buttons for home/back ect

so my questions are:
is it possible to install like a dual boot android on touch screen netbooks like the dell inspiron duo? - if so how is the battery life/performance - any youtube vids of it?
--i figure they are around $500-600 but i will also get a "full" windows laptop as well

if i go for the g tablet - i basically have to commit on a $400 purchase ($350 on ebay) - so i do want a somewhat powerfull hardware (upgrade to homecomb) - so any other alternatives?

---thanks for taking the time...

I think taking notes on the g tablet will be horrendous. I've used my phone to take notes before but I brought a fold out bluetooth keyboard. I owned an iPad and while taking very short notes was OK with the proper case to hold the ipad at the right orientation, I wouldn't go for more than a sentence or 2 (plus your whole screen is covered by keyboard)

The G-tab is probably not the best e-reader either with the poor screen.

will honeycomb support 1024*600 tablets? the xoom will have 1024 by 800 and as far as I know its the only one annointed by google.

For class, I would totally buy a macbook air, or simply use my phone with a cheap bluetooth keyboard.

For reading/tablet surfing I would wait for xoom or adam with pixel qi

Upvote 0
thanks for the response and advice...ya i gave up my dream of going paperless in classes - so i need it mostly for multimedia uses...

well i think at the moment the ipad is what i need - good/decent ebook reader/surfing the web/playing vids and game
i used the droid x allot and it does all that upto my standards (just in a smaller screen) - so i figure an android tablet that performs at least as fast as the droid x but with a bigger screen will do...

does any1 know if its possible to like "dual-boot" android(w/ apps) into a touch screen netbook? - or even better yet load android with in windows?...might be the only thing stopping me from buying a g-tablet...

Upvote 0
If you go with the gtablet, you can try to find a case with a built-in keyboard so you can transform it into a tablet/netbook. But that'll cost extra. If you can find the returned gtablet at the sears outlet, I would totally do that. A netbook screen and the gtablets screen are pretty much the same. However, if your gonna mainly use it for school work, the practical thing is to buy a cheap laptop or a netbook. if you can wait until the 3rf qtr, buy the asus transformer.

I think the gtablet is an underrated tablet with great value but it has its quirks.

Upvote 0
well i gave in and got the g tablet(will ship around next week)...typically i use my phone and pull up some quick info from internet and some pdf for classes...i figure the bigger screen will atleast allow me to do it better/easier...
anything you guys wanna tell me about the g tablet or android tablets in general?
--again thanks for the help guys

Upvote 0
well i gave in and got the g tablet(will ship around next week)...typically i use my phone and pull up some quick info from internet and some pdf for classes...i figure the bigger screen will atleast allow me to do it better/easier...
anything you guys wanna tell me about the g tablet or android tablets in general?
--again thanks for the help guys

Don't forget to try to get a case with a KB if you want to use it for school. Search ebay, there's a few that are only $20

Upvote 0
damn the prices for some of these tablets are high up there - around $500ish

i got the g tablet for $355 "new" (jan 2011) so i hope thats a decent price for it (not sure what the price for motorola xoom will be yet)

That's a great price, honestly I would have paid am extra 50-70 if the gtablet had an IPS screen. I got mine for 379. I'm happy with my gtablet

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones