• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root G1: are you getting Froyo to work ? considering rom vs new phone

brjoon1021

Lurker
May 12, 2009
I like my G1, but it is too slow. I don't have very many apps installed and it is still too slow. I went ahead and bought the big battery in case I decide to stick with it for another 6 months or so... which I think that I am going to do.

mostly i want it to run faster. My phone can barely handle running google maps and navigation which I NEED. I have read that Froyo is the fastest android release yet. But, when I skim through the cyanogen thread about the froyo release it looks like a lot of problems people are having.

1. Have you gotten a Froyo based flash to work ?
2. If so, is it faster ?
3. If not, then what rom has worked well for you.

Reactions: chipbabini
Dude my contracts up this April and I'm switching away from T-mobile for signal reasons....in the mean time I have spent too many hours trying to perfect my poor G1. So many issues for this phone from battery life to the teething pains of android. I seemingly have it squared away, from much trial and error...
Recovery image from amon ra (most recent), danger SPL and running the newest nightly Cyanogenmod build...
I bought the $1.99 setcpu app and set it for performance at 576 mhz.
Also combed through the settings and turned off all animations etc.
I bought a $11 extended batt off amazon and i can get a full days normal use out of the old G1.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones