• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help G1 Bricked ?

ross1

Lurker
Nov 3, 2009
Hope someone can help me on this one, I do believe I have actually broke my G1 ! It basically resembles a pretty paper weight and not a very functional one at that !
I have had a few issues updating to the latest Cyanogen ROM 4.2.3.1, So last night I decided to wipe my phone and start from scratch, I formatted the SD card with FAT32 and loaded a default ROM from Tmobile TMO-OTA-EU-DRC92-Rooted_update,
From there I copied files signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-ota-14721.zip and update-cm-4.2.3.1-signed.zip and the latest Radio file that accompanies this ROM, I installed them in this sequence then rebooted phone,

I now have the latest Cyanogen ROM all is good I thought !

I soon discover that I can't use data ie GPRS and 3G, I know my settings are correct because I was using them an hour ago.

This is were everything goes horribly wrong !

I decide in my infinite wisdom that it must be the latest Radio file that I have just installed that must be the cause of this, So I go about deleting the radio file for 4.3.2.1 and replacing it with the earlier version I can't remember what it is called it is basically the one before this, If i remember correctly the 4.3.2.1 radio image is the same for the last ROM also, So its the one prior to that, I hold down home and power and install this earlier radio image, The screen acknowledges that this has been done and I reboot the handset awaiting in anticipation for my stroke of genius and my new found understanding of Android !

Do you know that sinking feeling you get when you realise that you have just done something really stupid ?

OK I hold my hands up what can I say !

I now have a black screen with the G1 logo and that is it, It doesn't matter what combination of buttons I use and how many times I power cycle the handset it just sits on the G1 logo 3 hours later after trying pretty much every combination of recovery file and removing the battery and rebooting some more I had to admit defeat !

can anyone give me a pointer in the right direction please to try and revive my G1 ?

I have had to dig out my old HTC 620 windows mobile and put my SIM in that so I can get some service, Its not pretty I can tell ya !

Cheers Ross

Hope someone can help me on this one, I do believe I have actually broke my G1 ! It basically resembles a pretty paper weight and not a very functional one at that !
I have had a few issues updating to the latest Cyanogen ROM 4.2.3.1, So last night I decided to wipe my phone and start from scratch, I formatted the SD card with FAT32 and loaded a default ROM from Tmobile TMO-OTA-EU-DRC92-Rooted_update,
From there I copied files signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-ota-14721.zip and update-cm-4.2.3.1-signed.zip and the latest Radio file that accompanies this ROM, I installed them in this sequence then rebooted phone,

I now have the latest Cyanogen ROM all is good I thought !

I soon discover that I can't use data ie GPRS and 3G, I know my settings are correct because I was using them an hour ago.

This is were everything goes horribly wrong !

I decide in my infinite wisdom that it must be the latest Radio file that I have just installed that must be the cause of this, So I go about deleting the radio file for 4.3.2.1 and replacing it with the earlier version I can't remember what it is called it is basically the one before this, If i remember correctly the 4.3.2.1 radio image is the same for the last ROM also, So its the one prior to that, I hold down home and power and install this earlier radio image, The screen acknowledges that this has been done and I reboot the handset awaiting in anticipation for my stroke of genius and my new found understanding of Android !

Do you know that sinking feeling you get when you realise that you have just done something really stupid ?

OK I hold my hands up what can I say !

I now have a black screen with the G1 logo and that is it, It doesn't matter what combination of buttons I use and how many times I power cycle the handset it just sits on the G1 logo 3 hours later after trying pretty much every combination of recovery file and removing the battery and rebooting some more I had to admit defeat !

can anyone give me a pointer in the right direction please to try and revive my G1 ?

I have had to dig out my old HTC 620 windows mobile and put my SIM in that so I can get some service, Its not pretty I can tell ya !

Cheers Ross

Couple questions

Can you get to the recovery or fastboot menus?

Where are you located and when did you attempt this as the cause for your lake of 3G etc might be that nearly half of TMO is down.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones