• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

G1 can not send MMS to AT&T and Verizon

G1Fan2009

Oct 27, 2008
Don't waste your time trying to send a picture message (MMS) to your friends and family that use AT&T and Verizon. I haven't tested it with Sprint.

You can send a MMS to Tmobile users with no problem.

I was told by Tmobile PDA dept that the problem was with Tmobiles MMS servers and they were suppose to get it fixed 4 days ago.

Well its not fixed, and every Tmobile customer service agent will give you another answer.

Good thing I still have a week+ for a refund...

I ran into a similar problem when trying to send a picture.

The problem I ran into is the pictures size. When the G1 goes to resize the picture it makes it 1024x768, which is too big. These images will eventually get resized by the network to 640x480 and sent to the recipient. However this can take hours if not a whole day+.

Until they update the network to resize the images on the fly the temporary solution (and I hate this) is to use an image editing program to resize the image you wish to send to 640x480.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
I ran into a similar problem when trying to send a picture.

The problem I ran into is the pictures size. When the G1 goes to resize the picture it makes it 1024x768, which is too big. These images will eventually get resized by the network to 640x480 and sent to the recipient. However this can take hours if not a whole day+.

Until they update the network to resize the images on the fly the temporary solution (and I hate this) is to use an image editing program to resize the image you wish to send to 640x480.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the idea drustvold, here's what I came up with . . .

Short Answer:

-Take a Picture
-Open the picture in the picture browser
-Crop the picture (Can select the entire picture if so desired)
-Save
-Send the newly cropped picture in an MMS . . . should work

Long Answer/Details:

> Original Picture - 2048x1536 326kb
> Auto Crop - 1024x768 61.24kb
> Manual Crop - 1024x768 50.67kb

I took a picture and immediately attemted to send it. The phone notified me that the image was too large and offered to resize it (auto crop).
This picture was then sent to a TMobile and Non-TMobile customer. The Image came through fine on the TMobile phone, but showed up blank on the Non-TMobile phone. I then took the original picture, manually cropped it (full size) and sent the image via MMS to the same two customers as the previous (auto crop) picture. This time, both customers received the image.

So it looks as though it is perhaps an overall file size issue. I'm not sure what the limit is, but it obviously looks to be around 50-60kb

Upvote 0
I am having a problem saving pics that i get in MMS. Doesnt seem to want to give me the option to do that! it keeps playing the pic like its a video file. Anyone know if there is a directory that the phone stores MMS pics in?

Any suggestions?

The current version of Android doesn't let you do that, however there are some options:

-Email it to yourself. Forward the text message to your gmail address and you will be able to download it from Gmail.

-I don't know it's name but there's a marketplace App that provides the ability to save pic/video from MMS. Search for MMS in the marketplace and I'm sure you'll find it.

Upvote 0
SaveMMS is a great app until Android finally gets updated.

The only problem I've had sending pics is to people who own a Verizon enV. Here's my work-around:

Download PicSay from the market.
Open the picture using PicSay.
Edit the picture if desired. (optional)
Use the Share option in the menu.
Choose Messaging as the activity.

PicSay automatically resizes it to 427x320.

The auto resize even applies when using PicSay's "Save to SD card" option, which is kind of annoying. I would rather it save the full size in that case.

This will probably help when sending to any problem phone because of the very small size of the photo.

PicSay is just plain fun besides!

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem----I have a G1 but on AT&T's network as T-Mobile doesn't have data in Greenville, SC.

Yesterday a friend said she sent me a picture message from verizon, but I didn't get it. An hour later, she sent it again. This was about 6PM last night.

JUST now at 8:45 AM I got both messages at the same time.

However, I am unable to view either. They are the same message, both at 25KB.

I tried using the SaveSMS app, but it says "0 attachments found" so it's useless for now. I thought SMS/MMS would be about as easy as it gets, but this really stinks.

PS----The PicSay app makes it really easy to down-size any picture so you can send it to other people. Doesn't help me not GETTING messages, but it's a worthwhile app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones