• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help G1 has no sound

Yep. However, the sound came back this morning, so based on what I've since read elsewhere it sounds like it could be a duff solder joint.

I had a call from T-Mobile tonight and I told them it was now working but I was concerned it would go again as quickly as it came back, so they're going to ring me back same time tomorrow to check. I guess if it goes again later I can always email them again.

Upvote 0
Agreed, but the woman at the Mumbai call centre said they need for it to not be working in order to run some diagnostic tests.

However, when they said they'd call back this evening, it was a bit of a chore just to arrange for that to be the same time as last night so I'll have to wait until it goes again. To their credit, they rang one day after I emailed with the problem so I shouldn't have long to wait if it happens again.

Upvote 0
Well, one minute they're saying they can replace it, the next they can't. Today I got this:

"Thanks for your further email Dominic, confirming with the account details regarding the replacement phone.

I can understand how inconvenient it must be for not able to use the phone and I'll certainly advise you today.

Dominic, I'm sorry to inform you that we can't replace the phone for you, but we can send the phone for repair.

So, if you'd like us to repair your G1 phone, then I'd request you to take the phone to the nearest T-Mobile store so that they can take your phone and send it for repair. To find the nearest T-Mobile store, please click here.

As you're unable to use the T-Mobile G1 phone due to faulty, I've adjusted #10 (Inc VAT) as a one time goodwill gesture to you account and it will be adjusted in your next bill amount.

Thanks again for your email Dominic. I can understand I wasn't much helpful today.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to reply to this email and I'll be happy to help or you can visit our support section by clicking here.

Kind regards"

And so I've just sent this:

"Dear (name)
Thanks for your email but a repair is not acceptable when it comes to a mobile phone which I use every day.

You haven't even explained why you think a replacement is not possible. I would like to hear that.

Given what I've researched online, the problem is down to a poor solder joint, something that is inherent from when the item was made.

I paid approximately

Upvote 0
Their reply (sigh)

"Thanks for your further email Dominic, asking me why isn't a replacement possible as you don't wish to send it for repair.

I've checked the account and noticed that the phone was taken from us in May 2009. We can replacement the handset with in the 7 days of the phone purchase.

Since its been more than 7 months that you've been using the phone, we wouldn't be able to offer a replacement of a new phone in place of an old phone. I'm sure that the cost of the handset with you would not be the same as a brand new one, hence a replacement is not possible.

However, when you give your phone for repair, we'd try to provide you a handset temporarily depending on availability.

As you've mentioned that you are visiting the Altrincham branch this weekend, I'd request you to get the phone checked for a repair.

For any help, you can call our customer service team on 150 from
your T-Mobile phone or 0845 412 5000 from a landline (Landline calls are
charged at local rates if you're a BT customer, but if you're with another
provider it may cost a bit more so do check). They're available from 8am until 10pm Monday to Friday and 8am until 8pm Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks again for your email Dominic, I?m sorry you remain unhappy with us but I hope that I?ve explained the situation.

If you've any further queries please feel free to reply to this email and I'll be glad to help you. Or you can visit our help and support section by clicking here.

Kind regards

Himabindu Depally
Customer Services Email Team
T-Mobile"

Well, aside from the fact that "7 days" is nonsense and that the Sale of Goods Act decrees that 6 months should mean instant replacement, I've replied thus:

"Dear Himabindu,

Thanks for your reply, but about the replacement, your comment "I'm sure that the cost of the handset with you would not be the same as a brand new one" makes no sense. You would simply be exchanging one black G1 mobile phone for another. When any item is returned to a shop for a refund within 12 months, the shop would simply give a full refund of what was paid for the unit (which in my case was about

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones