• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

G1 MMS stopped working after 2 months without a data plan

taylor21

Lurker
Feb 16, 2009
I had my G1 for over two months without a data plan and was able to receive MMS messaging by changing the APN T-mobile US
APN=Wap.voicestream.com
Proxy=216.155.165.050
Port=8080
username=none
pass=none
server=not se
MMSC=unchanged
MMS proxy=216.155.165.050
MMS port=8080

my picture messaging stopped working as of 4/23/09 i have rebooted and pulled the battery out and nothing... I have my phone using 2G service only... finally yesterday started working again when i got home which i have setup with wifi....but this morning at work it stopped receiving picture messages, my guess is the pictures were pushed yesterday cause of the wifi so T-mobile must be somehow forcing messages thru G3 network or some other way to force those without data plan to get it..

any of you have this problem or suggestions on what i may be able to change... oh and yeah i know using a G1 without a data plan blah blah!!! please just help.

and, you might find it easier to get people to help you (or even just understand you) if you don't confuse your phones with your wireless service.

ex: there is no such thing as G3. A G3 phone (compared to a G1 or G2 phone) has not been announced. A G2 hasn't really been announced either, except as a nickname for the HTC Magic/Sapphire.

I know what you actually meant, but I had to do a double take.

G1, G2, G3 == Google Phone generations

1G, 2G, 3G == wireless service generations

Upvote 0
Swizz,

Thanks for catching that about the typo... Now on to your earlier post. You mention that picture messaging will not work on Blackberry without a data plan. Well I'm not sure if that's true for all BB because my son has been using one for over 2 years and receiving picture messaging first he had 8110 pearl and just last month he switched to the 8120 and no problem and i know he doesn't have a data plan because I pay the bill.

by the way my picture messaging comes and goes now... without me making any setting changes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones