• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help G1 on ATT 3G network

pcchameleon

Sep 28, 2008
Can anyone confirm that a unlocked G1 works or will work on the ATT 3G network? The T-mobile 3G network is not coming to Indianapolis anytime soon so I was hoping to get a unlocked G1 and stay on ATT...I heard it does and doesn't...just wanted a confirmation to put me in the right direction. Thanks

crap... any other compatible carriers or am I just %@#!ed? I don't understand why anyone would care that much about an unlocked G1 if you can't use it for any other carrier...

It'll still function on EDGE and Wifi but no 3G for any other carrier in the USA. T-Mobile only bought spectrum for 3G on certain freq. that AT&T doesn't use.

Be on the lookout though there are already chipsets being produced that work on both sets of the spectrum so there will be universal 3G handsets produced soon, but just not the G1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones