1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General G1 owner

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rift612, Dec 6, 2010.

1. rift612

rift612 New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Hi Everyone,
    I 've had a G1 for a couple of years now ( just rooted and running cyan-6), and though I love it, can't justify the cost. I was looking at this Samsung Intercept at Target, and one of the d-bag salesmen warned me off of it, saying I would not be happy with it as Virgin Mobile's sprint network is scaled back and lousy.
    First off is that true? Or are the 3g speeds decent?
    2nd, I have an Archos 101 on the way (snagged one today finally) is this Android the same as far as tethering and stuff?
    3rd- Does anyone use a SIP app like Handcent to keep minutes low?
    well, thanks a lot!
    -Rift R. Rift

Advertisement

2. one80oneday

one80oneday Well-Known Member

Internet speeds are a little slower than I was used to with Sprint but I don't need it to be blazing fast or anything. Apps update quickly, I get all my emails, youtube works pretty well... that's all I need. I haven't tried tethering yet but there's no reason it wouldn't work if you're rooted with the right kernel. The G1 with cyan is probably a little better than the ROMS the Intercept have now and we're still waiting for Android 2.2/2.3. I haven't really looked into VOIP because there doesn't seem to be an easy, free way about doing it yet and I hardly use any mins. I'm hoping Viber VOIP comes to Android to make things easier.

3. TxTazDad

TxTazDad Member

Dec 1, 2010
    IT Eng.
    TEXAS
    been tethering with my Intercept (like right now) & no mods on the phone at all & it works very well. The only exception is at work, but everyone there has reception issues due to the bldg. we're in. I am actually quite surprised at the page load speeds, I really expected much slower. I am quite pleased. ( So is my wife, she wants one like mine asap)

4. Billkwando

Billkwando Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Whatchoo usin to tether with? Is there a free app (not pdanet). Thanks!

5. TxTazDad

TxTazDad Member

Dec 1, 2010
    IT Eng.
    TEXAS
    Sorry, using PDANet, works well enough I haven't bothered looking at anything else.
    (Tethering to my Dell Latitude D820, WIn 7 Ultimate 32bit)

6. Billkwando

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    USA
    LOL My trial already expired when it definitely didn't work, so now I can't trial it again unless I wanna pay (I assume), and since I only want tethering to do work work (you know, like worky work), that idea doesn't appeal to me too much. Also I can't do anything too hinky since it's a work pc. Plus, I try to maintain my hinkylessness in general.

7. TxTazDad

TxTazDad Member

Dec 1, 2010
    IT Eng.
    TEXAS
    From their website:Note: Once trial expires, you can continue using PdaNet for free. The only difference is that free edition blocks secure web sites.

If you're using it for work, probably a good chance your having to access secure sites, I notice it's on sale right now so I'll probably pony up the cost since to read my work email it's a secure site.

Not sure why it didn't work for you either, only problem I ran into was the first time use & all I had to do was cycle the power on the phone with the USB connected & it started working, works normally now with no issues.

8. Billkwando

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Hmm, that's interesting! Maybe I gave up too easy. :)