• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

G1 Plan + Prices?

wtfckd

Lurker
May 27, 2009
Hey all. I'm new to the forum and am not yet (crosses fingers) a G1 owner. I am hopelessly in love with the phone and am hoping to switch to Mobile rather soon (as soon as possible). The only thing stopping me are the plans, my girlfriend has Verizon and well... myself.

Lets go to the plans. What could I be looking to pay (including taxes) for lets say... unlimited web and messages + my faves + minutes (average).

Also, my girlfriend has Verizon, does the new "my faves" version that Verizon has to offer apply to ALL Verizon customers with family plans or just some?

Also (Yes I know I already used also above... doesn't look to well), I make about 600-800 dollars a month. Am I the only 18 year old out there who happens to blow ALL (Not an exaggeration) when they get it? I'm even wondering if I can afford the bill. Any tips on how I could SAVE. SAVE. SAVE. SAVE. SAVE. my money?

Thanks in advance. Posted at 2:20am EST and hoping to see tons of replies in the morning'. Well, morning morning not like night morning.

DONT GET A G1. Get the free phone.

what he said. The G1 services you're talking about would run you $75 a month before taxes, regulatory fees, etc. So you're talking an $80+ phone bill every month.
Unlimited data + unlimited text = $35
Cheapest MyFaves(includes 300 min) = $39.99

I would get the free phone until you're making some more money and or got a better handle on your spending.

Upvote 0
We have a family plan so I'm not sure of the specific cost for one person. I suspect the Tmo web site can provide a fair estimate, however. Surcharges and taxes differ by region.

We have two G1s on our account. We chose the "Unlimited Web + 400 messages" package for about $10 less each per month than the unlimited messaging package. We use Google Talk and E-mail frequently instead of text messages and those do not count against your 400 messages each.

We also have been grandfathered into the FamilyTime 1000 plan with 1,000 minutes. We don't have MyFaves, but the 1000 plan is superior in some ways with free nights and weekends. I estimate the total cost for my G1 is about $65 per month.

Upvote 0
We have a family plan so I'm not sure of the specific cost for one person. I suspect the Tmo web site can provide a fair estimate, however. Surcharges and taxes differ by region.

We have two G1s on our account. We chose the "Unlimited Web + 400 messages" package for about $10 less each per month than the unlimited messaging package. We use Google Talk and E-mail frequently instead of text messages and those do not count against your 400 messages each.

We also have been grandfathered into the FamilyTime 1000 plan with 1,000 minutes. We don't have MyFaves, but the 1000 plan is superior in some ways with free nights and weekends. I estimate the total cost for my G1 is about $65 per month.

Just to correct, MyFaves has free nights and weekends regardless of whether they are a "Fave" or not.

Upvote 0
We don't have MyFaves, but the 1000 plan is superior in some ways with free nights and weekends.

It is also superior depending on your calling patterns. My family uses the fact that Family Plans w/o MyFaves offer free Tmo to Tmo calling and we know a lot of other Tmo callers. This actually makes a lot more sense as way more than 5 numbers are free. When one family member wants to call home, they just call a cell instead of a landline home number and like others have said, Gtalk is helpful too.

I think if you are careful you can get a G1, but you must be prepared to make a budget and NOT blow all your cash. Consider this your monthly treat and you get to use it multiple times a day.

Budgeting is key in life. 10 years from now you will thank us, 50 years from now you will praise us for this sage advice.

Upvote 0
If you can forgo the unlimited texting you can get unlimited date for $25/month.

As for budgeting, one of the mostly highly recommended programs I've seen is Mvelopes. Yes, it has a monthly fee. Frankly, if you use it properly it should pay for itself and then some. It will force a method of discipline on you that you may disagree with, but it is a proven method. It works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones