• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

g1 vs mytouch 3g

smurray

Lurker
Jun 17, 2009
I've been holding out for the myTouch 3g in hopes that it would support UMA and also possibly have an upgraded camera. Now that it's been announced and it seems like neither of those are the case, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should just pick up a G1. It looks to me that the only differences between the phones (other than the obvious physical differences) is that the myTouch has a larger battery and has more RAM. Can anyone chime in on what real differences the extra RAM is going to have. Will it only mean I can install more apps, or will it also affect the speed of the phone in general?

Extra internal memory COULD be huge.

Programs can (normally) only be installed to internal memory. The g1's memory can be quite insufficient if you have a lot of programs, or even more than a couple games, as some games can be very large.

If you are going to use it mainly as a phone, no big deal. If you want a lot of apps (especially games)on the phone, the myTouch has an advantage over G1 unless you root (jailbreak) your G1, which is a whole different topic.

I'm not sure that having more memory speeds up the phone, unless you start getting "insufficient memory" errors. The phone does slow down as it reaches it's memory limits, as it needs mem for swap files etc.

Insufficient internal memory is probably the number one complaint about the G1.

Upvote 0
Extra internal memory COULD be huge.

Programs can (normally) only be installed to internal memory. The g1's memory can be quite insufficient if you have a lot of programs, or even more than a couple games, as some games can be very large.

If you are going to use it mainly as a phone, no big deal. If you want a lot of apps (especially games)on the phone, the myTouch has an advantage over G1 unless you root (jailbreak) your G1, which is a whole different topic.

I'm not sure that having more memory speeds up the phone, unless you start getting "insufficient memory" errors. The phone does slow down as it reaches it's memory limits, as it needs mem for swap files etc.

Insufficient internal memory is probably the number one complaint about the G1.

2 Questions:

What does jailbreaking do that it doesn't already do?

AND

"Insufficient internal memory is probably the number one complaint about the G1."
Right well what about the really crappy battery life and the bulky size?

Upvote 0
2 Questions:

What does jailbreaking do that it doesn't already do?

AND

"Insufficient internal memory is probably the number one complaint about the G1."
Right well what about the really crappy battery life and the bulky size?

Rooting (or iPhonism = jailbreaking) gives user and apps full access to all the phones resources and files ... A major thing is this allows the installing of different OS builds or versions of a build ... Many Apps are made more powerful because they are able to access all resources ...

Re your Statement about memory :
Another benefit of rooting is the moving on apps to the SDCard and this free the phone's memory for more space to swap space and increase the speed of most apps.

If you like the thin slimness of other phones then dont even consider the G1 .. I for one prefer function over form ... and even have a double thickness battery ... this is not a downside for me .... all my previous smart phones were bricks ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones