• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

g1???

I bought my G1 around 5 weeks ago off ebay in mint condition unlocked and i'm running it on AT&T (only carrier here unfortunatley). I have read these forums everyday im not working and trying to learn as much as i can (came from an HTC TyTN II Pro). So everything's new to me. What major advantages are there rooting a G1 as i'm sure we will not be getting any updates past the 1.6. I am not sure if my phone is already rooted or not. Here is the info on my phone:

Model #- T Mobile G1

Firmware Version

Baseband Version
62.50SC.20.17H_2.22.23.02

Kernal Version
2.6.29-00479-g3c7d37
android-build@apa26#19

Build Number
DMD64

One more question.... The battery goes pretty quick and i have done all the things the nice folks in the forum suggested to other users to conserve battery life. When I go in under Battery Use and see " Whats Been Using the battery" it always says it's the display display, which I try to keep the display off even when charging. My Battery Widget is acting funny also, kinda jumps around from like 77% then hit display and it goes to 99%. This forum ROCKS! Everyone here tries their best to help new Android users and we all thank you for that!!!!

Upvote 0
No problem. Its Googles fault not yours. I will wait a few more months and then root and try these ROM's that everyone speaks well of. I work in Vietnam. If I lived in the USA I would have already done it. I have no protection over here. When my G1 got stolen in Cambodia it took me 3 months until someone could carry over a new one to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones