1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support G3 Camera 72dpi?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by freeperjim, Dec 10, 2014.

1. freeperjim

freeperjim Member
    None

Jan 13, 2013
    Entrepreneur: Import/Distribute ultra-high end aud
    I'm just beginning to play with my G3 camera and discovered all the photos are 72dpi resolution.

I've tried different image size settings including the largest but photos are always at 72dpi.

Is this the default setting and can the "DPI" resolution be increased for higher quality images?

I've searched and cannot find any article or posting that addresses the "72 DPI" resolution setting.

Thanks, y'all!

Advertisement

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    DPI really only has meaning when it comes to printing. In the camera, and on the screen, resolution is what is is (e.g., 1440x2560, 1080x1440, etc.).

When you're viewing an image on the screen, the dpi figure isn't reference at all, so you're not seeing only 350 pixels or so of resolution on your 5 inch screen.

When you're printing, the printer software uses the dpi figure to determine how large the print is going to be, and any decent app for printing images will let you change the print size, which will automatically change the dpi.

72 dpi as a default, for those interested, is a holdover from the very first PC graphics monitors and printers, but really doesn't mean anything.

3. freeperjim

freeperjim Member
    None

Jan 13, 2013
    Entrepreneur: Import/Distribute ultra-high end aud
    Thanks for the very informative reply - much appreciated.

I posted a product photo (Pure Silver Wire AC Cord) on my commercial website using G3 and compared to same product taken with Canon 10MP camera. The G3 photo, even compressed from 3MB to 645KB, on my website was far superior. :)

Attached Files:

LG G3

The LG G3 was the 2014 flagship device for LG, and was one of the first smartphones on the market with a 5.5-inch 2560 x 1440 display. It featured a Snapdragon 801 processor, 2GB or 3GB of RAM, 16GB or 32GB of internal storage, a microSD card slot, and a 13MP.
Tags: