• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help G4 update issues

chago360

May 22, 2013
Im currently running android version 5.1 and want to update my phone to android M, but my phone can't seem to find an update. My phone is factory unlocked and that might be the reason why i can't update, but i'm not sure. Does anyone know why I can't update?

Here is a link to 25A kdz, assume that is the latest but not sure, I know it is MM though. You will need to download LGUP onto your computer to flash it. As @El Presidente says, you will loose all your data so make sure you backup.
**Ensure you read the instructions carefully and do as they say, if you are unsure about anything feel free to ask here and one of us will help you :)
If you have root you will lose it, unless bootloader unlocked (not sure if VZ phones were unlockable or not).
Edit: Ah, looks like 26A is out but can't find a kdz, looks like it's just the July security patch anyway.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Im fine with lossing all my data backing up is np, but my question are can this brick or bootloop my phone if i mess up and is it worth the time to update because i have seen people saying that MM did not work well and had many bugs. I just want it because i heard it has a better battery life and i also like the new UI, but has all thr bugs been fixed? And does my bootloader have to be unlocked to install this update?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, bootloader unlock isn't needed to update (and Verizon doesn't let you unlock the BL on their devices anyway).

On the contrary, battery life is actually worse with MM but my battery life was always terrible anyway so I didn't really notice. Also, the UI doesn't change much either.

As for bricking, there's as much chance of that as there is with an OTA update and most G4s are gonna bootloop sooner later anyways ( especially older models).

It's up to you, I'd probably do it but I can understand being apprehensive.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem, but my unlocked G4 is a GSM, Model US991LD, using AT&T via Consumer Cellular. Are the instructions and links above exactly the same?

All LG would tell me was:
"For Android, it is faster to receive updates on Google products (for phones, that’s the Nexus line) or on unlocked/rooted units wherein the update may be installed manually (although not supported by LG as this is a customization). For carrier-specific devices, this may take longer and will vary. After a phone manufacturer like LG prepares the software with the help of the developer (Google who made Android), the update will have to run through carriers in order for them to incorporate carrier-specific features - and also test the new software thoroughly on the network. After some collaboration, the carrier will then approve the update and push it out to your device which will then be downloaded and installed through the network signals from your carrier.

As such, you may also directly correspond with your carrier if they already have an estimated date for the release of the update. In case that there’s none yet, I’m afraid we’ll still have to wait. I do apologize. "

What are the implications of "not supported by LG"? And should I contact AT&T? (Consumer Cellular was no help).

Upvote 0
I've researched this further.

LG makes it clear that the only way to get updates is to sign on with a major carrier and get it from them.

For my phone, the current software version is US99122a, but I probably need US99120c, which is for phones not already updated to Marshmallow. Those updates are available from US Cellular, though I see no way to get it from their site without signing up with them--however, my phone is GSM, whereas they're CDMA; will that cause problems? Or am I misunderstanding?

AT&T, which is GSM, has updates, but their G4 version is the 810, so their update is H81022b, and they say "n order to receive the latest software update, you must be on current software version H81021z. If not, repeat the update process until you’ve installed H81021z, and then you should be able to install the most recent software update"

Anyone have any suggestions? I hear that if I root my phone, I can install updates myself--but where would I get the updates in the first place?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones