• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root G900a running 4.4.4 questions

Hey guys...

Let me start with I'm unfamiliar with samsung products lol. I was really big into Motorola and the XT models. Especially the XT912 And the amazing roms for that device. I've been out of the game for about a year but I just spent a few hours achieving root on my LG G Stylo for cricket (H63410G) so while my insomnia is in full swing tonight I figured I would mess around with this G900a...

I was given a G900a for free a few weeks ago. I immediately factory reset the phone and its running 4.4.4. At first I checked out YouTube and a few Google searches for root methods and I saw the towel root method. Like everyone else, "phone is not supported" so I searched around for a few hours and here I am...

I checked out the thread below where someone posted a few links over to xda to answer a few questions for someone else and I read the thread about the 42 types of the S5. For whatever reason, no matter how much I look at these threads, I cant seem to process the answer to my own questions lol...people are saying that the g900a running 5.0 absolutely cannot be rooted. I also read where it can't be unlocked and put on the other major carriers. But then I'm seeing roms for it. Anytime I've ever flashed a Rom it was through a recovery, so this will be somewhat new to me. Also, I have never even heard of this Knox program. I have no problem doing my research fellas but for whatever reason I just cant make sense out of this model! So can someone please just break this down Barney style for me???

Sm G900A running factory 4.4.4
Kernel date is August 5th 2015

Can this device be rooted?
Is there a recovery for it?
Will those roms I'm seeing work for this?

I havnt seem anyone else running 4.4.4 from the factory so if any developer sees this and wants to try something, I have no problem donating this thing to science. I'm willing to work with you and try any ideas you may have

P.S...

My everyday phone is my LG G Stylo on cricket. I just got the $70 unlimited plan through cricket and you can't tether data off that plan. Well, I've read several people have modded there device to be able to tether. The guy at my local cricket says it's very possible if you mod an att phone with your cricket sim card. (phone works flawlessly with Cricket sim and its not unlocked yet) my main focus was to get this S5 to be able to tether but now I'm way to interested in just rooting it and crack flashing a few roms...

I'm sorry if this is scrambled guys. My eyes are crossing from staring at these screens for the past several hours and I'm exhausted. But I greatly appreciate any help and suggestions!

Attachments

• 20160713_045942.jpg
    20160713_045942.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 129
The AT&T carrier minority variant of the Galaxy S5, G900A, is the most locked down model on the planet. See #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. To root it, you will need to downgrade to the AT&T firmware for Android 4.4.2 on NCE release and then use TowelRoot.

ROMs for the G900A are extremely scarce as the phone has been non downgradable and unrootable since the release of AT&T's, Lollipop, Android 5.0 firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones