• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

G900V CID 11 Running CyanogenMod 14 - Unable to make phone calls/Use sms

Jaydee631

Lurker
Mar 6, 2016
Hi, in an attempt to unlock Wifi Tethering capability on my phone, I installed [G900F]CyanogenMod 14.0-20161020-UNOFFICIAL-klte, and now I'm unable to make phone calls or use SMS/MMS.

Is there anything I can try to get service back?

I've tried installing a new modem with no success, using Odin, FlashFire, Terminal Server. I'm not confident I was doing it correctly though, or even if I was using the correct modem files.

I was able to root the phone with Stock firmware, but Mobile Hotspot/Wifi Tether wasn't built-in, and I had no success with any of the apps... FoxFi, Wifi Tether Router, Barnacle Wifi.

Some more information on the phone:
It's the StraightTalk variant made for TotalWireless MVNO. The phone's Stock firmware said it was the S902L Samsung S5 variant, but under the battery FCC ID of the device is actually just a G900V. I took it to the Verizon MVNO PagePlus and they were able to activate the phone, and everything was working perfect, until installing CM14.0.

A roadblock I found out, that might be the root of some of the problems, is the phone may not have the ability to unlock the bootloader, possibly limiting some modding methods. When looking at /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/cid, it starts with 11, designating a Toshiba eMMC chip.

I'll take any suggestions, or alternatives... I don't mind using the stock firmware or any other Roms. The main feature I'd like to have is the ability to use Wifi Tether and the basics, make calls, send sms.

Thank you.

Hi, in an attempt to unlock Wifi Tethering capability on my phone, I installed [G900F]CyanogenMod 14.0-20161020-UNOFFICIAL-klte, and now I'm unable to make phone calls or use SMS/MMS.

Is there anything I can try to get service back?

I've tried installing a new modem with no success, using Odin, FlashFire, Terminal Server. I'm not confident I was doing it correctly though, or even if I was using the correct modem files.

I was able to root the phone with Stock firmware, but Mobile Hotspot/Wifi Tether wasn't built-in, and I had no success with any of the apps... FoxFi, Wifi Tether Router, Barnacle Wifi.

Some more information on the phone:
It's the StraightTalk variant made for TotalWireless MVNO. The phone's Stock firmware said it was the S902L Samsung S5 variant, but under the battery FCC ID of the device is actually just a G900V. I took it to the Verizon MVNO PagePlus and they were able to activate the phone, and everything was working perfect, until installing CM14.0.

A roadblock I found out, that might be the root of some of the problems, is the phone may not have the ability to unlock the bootloader, possibly limiting some modding methods. When looking at /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/cid, it starts with 11, designating a Toshiba eMMC chip.

I'll take any suggestions, or alternatives... I don't mind using the stock firmware or any other Roms. The main feature I'd like to have is the ability to use Wifi Tether and the basics, make calls, send sms.

Thank you.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Jaydee631!

Straight Talk is an MVNO of Verizon which is a CDMA network. As you have found out I guess, the G900F, Global, models are all on the worldwide GSM network. Only 2 countries, USA & China, still partially use the old CDMA networks. Therefore, to get you back up and running again, you can either flash the latest stock Samsung firmware for the Verizon model, G900V, below...

Model SM-G900V
Model name GALAXY S5
Country USA (Verizon)
Version Android 6.0.1
Changelist 8025411
Build date Fri, 02 Dec 2016 07:25:33 +0000
Security Patch Level 2016-12-01
Product code VZW
PDA G900VVRS2DPL1
CSC G900VVZW2DPL1

Be advised that thanks to Verizon, this will prevent any future rooting as you have the Toshiba eMMC chip. See #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. I cannot tell you whether you would be able to use Wi-Fi tethering using the Verizon firmware.

Alternatively, as you are already rooted, you could flash the CyanogenMod build for your G900V model. This will have the necessary CDMA modem for Verizon/Straight Talk's CDMA network. See, https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=kltevzw

Reactions: Jfalls63 and mydian
Upvote 0
Thank you for the response.
Is there a recommended guide for installing CM13 on a phone with a Toshiba eMMC chip?
I found this guide, but then it started talking about unlocking the bootloader, so I thought it probably wouldn't work with a Toshiba eMMC chip: http://www.cyanogenmods.org/forums/...n-cm13-cyanogenmod-13-marshmallow-custom-rom/

I understood that you were rooted and had already installed CyanogenMod firmware once already. The latest CyanogenMod firmware that I linked you to was for CM14, Nougat. See, also...

Verizon Galaxy S5 CM14 (CyanogenMod 14, Nougat ROM)

Upvote 0
I followed that guide, and am getting stuck on the Safestrap step. I rooted, installed busybox, installed Safestrap, Installed Recovery, and it says State: Installed... but when I click Reboot to Recovery, it just Restarts the phone normally to the OS, and doesn't boot into the Recovery gui.

I've seen some Safestrap guides mention the Build Number in the Settings Menu has to match the Safestrap version, I'm not sure if that matters. Also, anytime I reboot the phone I see two messages on the Samsung splash screen:
kernel is not seandroid enforcing
set warranty bit: kernel

Also, I should've mentioned a friend helped root and Install G900F CM14 on the phone, when he was in town for the weekend, and left with the phone not functioning, so I'm trying to research how to do it myself now.

Upvote 0
I am afraid that I cannot be of any help when it comes to the use of Safestrap as it is not needed on the Global models. On the Global models, "kernel is not seandroid enforcing", indicates that an incorrect rooting kernel has been used. So maybe you are using the wrong version of Safestrap. By the way, nice of your friend to leave your phone like that.

Upvote 0
I thought I'd check back in, and mention the final solution I arrived at, everything's working perfectly now.

First, I flashed the kltevzw 14 version with TWRP and still had no luck getting service, then I tried flashing the kitkat factory ROM with ODIN to see if that would fix it, but ODIN failed after many attempts. Finally using TWRP, I flashed with the lower but stable release kltevzw CM13, instead of the nightly, and everything works again. I'm thinking I must be extremely lucky to have gotten a Straight Talk S5 variant. From what I've heard, they have an unlocked bootloader, even though they are CID 11.

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones