• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GAH!! 47 apps running in the background. Don't know how to kill 'em!

Ok. I bought the skyrocket a month ago, and I only have two days left to return it if I'm going to.

I've been using juice defender basic, and it has been doing ok. I recently downloaded quite a few games, a few live wallpapers, a couple random apps etc. I also downloaded 2x battery. A few days ago, when I would use the app killer, 25 apps would shut down. Now I have 47 apps that shut down. Within a couple minutes most of them are back up. I wanna kill most of them and keep them dead. I think it's seriously affecting my battery life too.

This morning I unplugged my phone and skimmed through my settings. Within 7 minutes I had lost two percent on my battery life. Within three hours I had lost 30% and my phone hadn't been touched (I was in class the whole time). My batter was almost dead in less than 8 hours and I had my brightness down, no music usage, two texts, and maybe 30 minutes of total internet usage.

I've gone in and tried to manually close down applications, but I can't seem to close down media hub or the other social bloatware, and there are a bunch of random "com." stuff and I don't know what else.

I'm basically a total noob with technology to begin with, and an utter moron when it comes to all things droid. I'm interested to learn though....help?

^exactly correct. You can remove the apps with root access

You can properly set up advanced task killer to kill everything when the screen is turned off which may help, but the majority of bloat will reload when you turn the screen off

This is where the debate on task killers comes in...the constant kill an restardt could be doing more battery and memory harm than good

Try running a few days with no task killer and see if battery improves

If not get with me and I can try and help you set up your task killer so it is more productive or you can look into root

As for help....always remember a good number of us help not only in this skyrocket area but the entire site and other sites as well

Just a good thing to keep in mind before making "no answer" post within 24 hr's of the original question haha

Reactions: Midiman
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. :)

In regards to app killing. I had 50 apps running in the background on startup (that I closed with an app killer). those aren't ALL bloatware. They couldn't be, so how do I keep those OTHER apps from loading on startup?

well, you have to evaluate what they are or could be doing...are they needed?

if not, uninstall them.

one of the few drawbacks of android I have found is what I call misbehaving or run away apps...just as those that you have

they have no reason for some of the "extra" stuff they do

generally I uninstall those and look for something else that achieves what I attempted with that app, or decide I didn't need it anyway.

Upvote 0
Mr. Ed,

I wasn't complaining about getting no response within such a short time frame. I'm brand new to the android scene and looking at a couple different android forums. I posted the exact same post on another forum and within 10-15 views I had three replies.

I was just a little disappointed that there were over 70 views and no one made a peep about it. If there had been no views, I wouldn't have made a comment. I assume this forum is run/managed by volunteers? In which case, I only commend you for your efforts. I'd just expect the community at large to have some feedback of one kind or another.

You on the other hand, have been excellent.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Mr. Ed,

I wasn't complaining about getting no response within such a short time frame. I'm brand new to the android scene and looking at a couple different android forums. I posted the exact same post on another forum and within 10-15 views I had three replies.

I was just a little disappointed that there were over 70 views and no one made a peep about it. If there had been no views, I wouldn't have made a comment. I assume this forum is run/managed by volunteers? In which case, I only commend you for your efforts. I'd just expect the community at large to have some feedback of one kind or another.

You on the other hand, have been excellent.

No worries. You are also welcome to pm me anytime!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones