• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gaining root with 2.3.4

Upvote 0
It seems that the general opinion is that I am screwed. I am S-ON. I tried unrevoked3 on my MAC and it failed ("is your firmware too new?"). I tried it from my Win7 machine and it actually completed the process (it said "done" - it did not say "success"). During the process it reported an error reading the sdcard "marker" (whatever that is). It seemed to install superuser, but all of my apps requiring superuser access get immediately terminated. So, unless you have any ideas, it looks like I'm screwed.

Upvote 0
It seems that the general opinion is that I am screwed. I am S-ON. I tried unrevoked3 on my MAC and it failed ("is your firmware too new?"). I tried it from my Win7 machine and it actually completed the process (it said "done" - it did not say "success"). During the process it reported an error reading the sdcard "marker" (whatever that is). It seemed to install superuser, but all of my apps requiring superuser access get immediately terminated. So, unless you have any ideas, it looks like I'm screwed.

Here ya go.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the noob question, but I'm not confident I understand this. I'm currently running 2.2 rooted with unrevoked. So I'm S-OFF. But I only installed Titanium and a wifi tether program - never flashed a ROM. I've turned down the OTA gingerbread. If I accept it, will I keep root or lose it? If I'd keep it, is there any other reason not to accept the OTA?

Upvote 0
Sorry for the noob question, but I'm not confident I understand this. I'm currently running 2.2 rooted with unrevoked. So I'm S-OFF. But I only installed Titanium and a wifi tether program - never flashed a ROM. I've turned down the OTA gingerbread. If I accept it, will I keep root or lose it? If I'd keep it, is there any other reason not to accept the OTA?

Same boat here. I was rooted when I accepted the update, but the update didn't take. The unroot bricked my phone, but I revived it by guessing the timing of the unroot process with a blank screen. So now sitting at 2.2 and would like to get the GB update. From reading other articles, it appears that accepting the (unrooted) update will at best make it difficult to root.

Root now, then update? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Same boat here. I was rooted when I accepted the update, but the update didn't take. The unroot bricked my phone, but I revived it by guessing the timing of the unroot process with a blank screen. So now sitting at 2.2 and would like to get the GB update. From reading other articles, it appears that accepting the (unrooted) update will at best make it difficult to root.

Root now, then update? :thinking:

Correct, much easier if you root then update.

Upvote 0
ok so I have been away from the Inc for a while ( went through the charge and an iphone 4) now I want to get back in and play with the Inc. My Inc was rooted but I unrooted bc I was going to sell it then changed my mind. It is actually on 2.1 update-1 now when I activate the Inc its gonna ask to update but from what I'm reading I should stay where Im at if I want root, correct? Also can I root the phone first before I activate the phone?

Upvote 0
Step 1.
Place Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip on your SD card.

Step 2.
Power the phone down and enter hboot by holding volume down and power. Navigate into recovery and select 'Install zip from SD card'. Select and run it. Reboot the phone.

Step 3.
Remove Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip.zip from the SD card.

You navigate recovery with volume up/down. Selections are done with track pad. Power button is back!

Upvote 0
I'm trying to install the drivers as described on unrevoked page but I get an error message "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device. Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. Android Bootloader Interface. The system cannot find the file specified".
And yes, I did choose "Browse my computer for driver software" and picked the Android USB Driver folder.
I'm running GB 2.3.4 with S-On and I'm trying to downgrade to Froyo so that I can root the phone and gain S-Off in order to install a custom Rom.

Can someone help me please?

Upvote 0
I'm trying to install the drivers as described on unrevoked page but I get an error message "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device. Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. Android Bootloader Interface. The system cannot find the file specified".
And yes, I did choose "Browse my computer for driver software" and picked the Android USB Driver folder.
I'm running GB 2.3.4 with S-On and I'm trying to downgrade to Froyo so that I can root the phone and gain S-Off in order to install a custom Rom.

Can someone help me please?

I'd just try rebooting the computer and trying again, or try a different computer if you have one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones