• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gaining root with 2.3.4

pr0jektblack

Apr 10, 2011
I tried to search, but just couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I don't actually own an Inc anymore, but someone is asking me if he can gain root, I don't want to direct him to bricking his phone. :D

unRevoked doesn't look like it works with 2.3.4.. am I correct? If so, how is anyone gaining root, or has the Incredible become the Evo, in that it's become impossible to root?

(I'm currently running a rooted Thunderbolt and I used clockwork for my Incredible)

I tried to search, but just couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I don't actually own an Inc anymore, but someone is asking me if he can gain root, I don't want to direct him to bricking his phone. :D

unRevoked doesn't look like it works with 2.3.4.. am I correct? If so, how is anyone gaining root, or has the Incredible become the Evo, in that it's become impossible to root?

(I'm currently running a rooted Thunderbolt and I used clockwork for my Incredible)

Pretty much, as far as I know there is no root exploit for the update.

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0

Which evo are you talking about? They have achieved root for 4g and I would expect Incredible and others later.

Upvote 0

As far as I know, anyone that is running GB on a rooted phone had root prior to the update, and did not install the OTA version of the update pushed by Verizon.

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
The xtc clip should work to attain s-off,unless the update brought a new,unsuspported hboot.

Other than that,keep fingers crossed that AlphaRev/unrevoked add the the Inc to the list of phones supported by the new revolutionary tool.

You say "should", have you seen any confirmation? Wonder if we could get a few Guinea pigs....

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
the incredible is listed as a supported device. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

i just ordered one,so anyone close enuff to dayton,ohio, or willing to ship me a phone to try it id be happy to. :)

can anyone that got a legitmate OTA verify wether the hboot changed or not?

interesting.... the hboot version number has not changed (still .92) in the official OTA, but users get the "main version is older" error if trying to downgrade to 2.2 (which included the .92 hboot) via RUU or PB31IMG.zip method. So they obviously changed the "main version" but not sure how closely that is tied to the hboot.

Reactions: Ryujin89
Upvote 0
Its not the bootloader versions, its the misc.img. If you remeber this thread

http://androidforums.com/incredible...16-how-revert-back-earlier-version-hboot.html

I know it talks about downgrading the hboot there but that cause we were using full RUU's to do it back then. Point is still the same.

You flashed another misc to fake out the bootloader and allow the downgrade. I wouldn't use that thread to downgrade now but you get the idea.

Upvote 0
interesting.... the hboot version number has not changed (still .92) in the official OTA, but users get the "main version is older" error if trying to downgrade to 2.2 (which included the .92 hboot) via RUU or PB31IMG.zip method. So they obviously changed the "main version" but not sure how closely that is tied to the hboot.

it is the version numbers of the firmware,not the hboot version that cause the "main version hihger" error. the s-on hboot will check what youre trying to flash and htc wont let you backpeddle the version numbers and flash older firmware.

also,the exploits that let you gain temp root and re-write the misc image on an unrooted,s-on phone have all been patched in google source code in 2.3. until someone finds a shiny new exploit,gingerbread will remain unrootable,except via recovery,after xtc clip turning the secure flag off,or possibly some hboot trickery from alpharev/unrevoked(same method being used on TB,sensation,evo 3d).

the clip uses a DIAG mode to turn the secure flag off below the radio level,so im fairly certain it doesnt care what firmware is on the phone. the reason i was asking about the hboot version is that when creating the "gold card" with the clip,you need to enter the phone model and hboot version.

Upvote 0
i seem to be having the same problem... my z4 root worked fine since i got the phone... now it updated to 2.3.4. and it wont root... it continues to say running exploit in order to obtain root access... it will continue to say this, and thats it... help please...

Gingerbread (2.3.4) is not rootable on the incredible.

Reactions: kblake45
Upvote 0
the incredible is listed as a supported device. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

i just ordered one,so anyone close enuff to dayton,ohio, or willing to ship me a phone to try it id be happy to. :)

can anyone that got a legitmate OTA verify wether the hboot changed or not?

bad news,guys... i got my clip yesterday,and when i open the software,the incredible is not an option to select. :mad: ive made a few goldcards for other devices,but they are not making a PB31DIAG,they are all making different PxxxDIAG files. i could put one on the sd and see what happens,but not named correctly hboot just wont find it,and im alittle nervous to just simlply rename it when its obviously been generated for a different device.

i have poured thru pages and pages of google searches and asked on a few forums,and even sent a PM to one of the developers for the clip and cant seem to find any real on info if it can somehow work.

im pretty disapointed- this was one the motivating factors in getting it.

ill keep working on it,but its looking like revolutionary is our only hope,currently.

edit: apparently not all clips are created equal :mad: keeping fingers crossed,doing some more research

Upvote 0
If there is no way to root the incredible with 2.3.4, can i somehow go back to the old version 2.2?

There is a way to root GB 2.3.4

See Here: http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/427344-2-3-4-root-downgrade-s-off.html

I have rooted my Dinc sled stock 2.3.4 S-On, works with amoled too. (I stopped at root with my dinc, due to lack of "me" time). You can also revert to Froyo 2.2 and gain s-off with this method.

Then you will be in full control -que evil laugh- hahaha :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones