• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Galaxo 1.6.3.4 fresh install

Fellow stale Donut Galaxy users [I think we can thank Samsung for that, eh?],

I'm tired of my [buggy] JC4, and I've finally worked up the nerve to try messing around with unofficial ROMs. But I can't seem to find a proper and step-by-step guide to installing Galaxo 1.6.3.4. Can anyone tell me how to do it? I'm familiar with ADB and I've flashed firmwares before [albeit, the official Samsung ones via Odin]. If there's already a thread for this, I'm sorry for creating another, just couldn't find it. Thanks.

Fellow stale Donut Galaxy users [I think we can thank Samsung for that, eh?],

I'm tired of my [buggy] JC4, and I've finally worked up the nerve to try messing around with unofficial ROMs. But I can't seem to find a proper and step-by-step guide to installing Galaxo 1.6.3.4. Can anyone tell me how to do it? I'm familiar with ADB and I've flashed firmwares before [albeit, the official Samsung ones via Odin]. If there's already a thread for this, I'm sorry for creating another, just couldn't find it. Thanks.

This is all u need....
http://androidforums.com/i7500-all-things-root/72037-easy-guide-updating-galaxo.html

u can jus replace ur old recovery with the new unified RECOVERY 6.1
so u get a chance to get ur hands on new FROYO nightlies..

Upvote 0
If I were the writer of that article I'd stop stealing pictures from other guides. Might get that person into trouble.

I see a lot of mine there. Oh well, at least there's a link to androidforums.com.

Even on an internet forum, I don't like/approve of plagiarism, but since he DID put up a link to androidforums, I think we can let him live (but we CAN consider hypnotizing him instead. ;) ).

Perhaps going off-topic, but when you're compiling information for an article or blog post, it's rather difficult to keep track of exactly WHERE your pictures came from and in such cases, pointing to the main site (androidfourms.com) instead of the exact post is the next best thing. Besides, there's enough of originality (IMO) in that blog post for the author to be proud of.

My 2 cents.

-chronodekar

Upvote 0
Plagiarism is widespread via appearance of Internet and I think that's a real problem. :( Like in this case where the poster also did it and regarding his link to androidforums.com, I think he put that link there in order for someone who gets stuck by using "his" (yeah right :rolleyes:) guide can post questions here. That just shows how much he really knows about it, but it was wise of him to post the link so that innocent victims don't get...
Anyway we shouldn't support plagiarism 'cause it's just wrong to the person who originally wrote it and it's just morally wrong.

JUST SAY NO TO PLAGIARSM. :cool:

Upvote 0

JUST SAY NO TO PLAGIARSM. :cool:

I agree completely.

Now, if you copy/edit/modify someone-else's work and re-brand it as your own, I feel its ok. BUT, only as long as you quote your sources.

Blind plagiarism is easy to detect and kick in the rear. It's when some modifications are made to the source that the differentiation becomes harder to tell.

-chronodekar

Upvote 0
I agree completely.

Now, if you copy/edit/modify someone-else's work and re-brand it as your own, I feel its ok. BUT, only as long as you quote your sources.

Blind plagiarism is easy to detect and kick in the rear. It's when some modifications are made to the source that the differentiation becomes harder to tell.

-chronodekar

I agree to that.

But I also think when you do copy/edit/modify someone-else's work or post, it's better to send him (the original writer or writers) a notice of your doing or better ask for permission (which is better in my opinion).

Upvote 0
I agree to that.

But I also think when you do copy/edit/modify someone-else's work or post, it's better to send him (the original writer or writers) a notice of your doing or better ask for permission (which is better in my opinion).

:) You remind me of how I used to think when I was back in college. Yes, sending a notice is always better. And asking for permission is even more wonderful!

Why I changed my mind, was because the issue becomes complex depending on the original source material. Take science journals for instance. There is a LOT of referencing and cross-referencing going on there, but how many of them do you think really ask for the authors permission?

Some do, but at other times, it's a sticky issue. Like, what if the author passed away, will you approach the family? And if so, which family member? On other cases, if what you are referencing was funded by a corporate, then the right people to ask would be that company. Or education institute in other cases.

And what about editorials in a newspaper? Or even the paid sections of some sites - is it all-right to copy over that kind of material and just "reference" the author. At times, it looks like you're just slapping them in the face instead.

Now, don't get me wrong - asking permission (and getting approval!) is what I would consider the ideal scenario. I'm just stating that it's not easy/practical always.

But, something I feel we can all agree on, is if the original author wants the copy removed, then the masher/copier should do so immediately. OR create something else.

Again, my 2 cents.
-chronodekar

Upvote 0
Now you remind me of some case that happened in (anime/manga) promised land of Japan. Some mangaka released a manga in which there were some elements from different mangas. And the mangakas or maybe theirs assistant or editor (doesn't matter who) noticed that, send heir letters to editorial department and "E.D." withdraw that manga (and the previous tonkuban also) and finished mangas future releases. Off course the plagiarism mangaka got his lesson from ED and now his doing assistant jobs. In my opinion he did that because he didn't have any ideas and was under enormous pressure because of incoming deadline. And foolishly he tried to solve the issue thru plagiarism (stealing) from others and hoping to get away with it (nobody will notice it, yeah right Sherlock).

That's enough about that issue. Plagiarism is morally bad and it's not something to be proud about. Taking something from others and display it as your own is really bad.
And if you find yourself in that situation, if you can't contact the original author don't forget to give credit to that person, he will probably be glad about it.

Upvote 0
That's enough about that issue. Plagiarism is morally bad and it's not something to be proud about. Taking something from others and display it as your own is really bad.
And if you find yourself in that situation, if you can't contact the original author don't forget to give credit to that person, he will probably be glad about it.

Well said !! :thumbsup:

-chronodekar

Upvote 0
Hey! I am the author of the tutorial that "plagiarized" your images... I just want to say that in the open-source spirit I put together a COMPREHENSIVE step-by-step guide on how to upgrade the Galaxy to Galaxo, something I thought needed to be done because your "Easy-guide" has a lot of holes and noobie users have a difficult time with.

I guess none of you guys have ever downloaded an illegal mp3, movie or file from the internet, and that every time that you download an image from google images you ask the author or owner of the image for permission to use it (like half of your avatar images).

Vincent, so you don't get your panties in a bunch anymore, I changed the 3 images that I got from your guide. You should also scour the internet for "plagiarism" of your material, god forbid android users should get help from anybody else.

May you all have a great day!

Upvote 0
Hey! I am the author of the tutorial that "plagiarized" your images... I just want to say that in the open-source spirit I put together a COMPREHENSIVE step-by-step guide on how to upgrade the Galaxy to Galaxo, something I thought needed to be done because your "Easy-guide" has a lot of holes and noobie users have a difficult time with.

I guess none of you guys have ever downloaded an illegal mp3, movie or file from the internet, and that every time that you download an image from google images you ask the author or owner of the image for permission to use it (like half of your avatar images).

Vincent, so you don't get your panties in a bunch anymore, I changed the 3 images that I got from your guide. You should also scour the internet for "plagiarism" of your material, god forbid android users should get help from anybody else.

May you all have a great day!

Calm down, don't take it so bad. The only thing that bothered me was that you didn't ask, give me a heads up, a thanks or whatever, and you didn't reply to my comment on your blog (I checked back a few days later, maybe you did reply later though). I'm ok with it, but I've got to admit I was a little annoyed when a few people came here for help after having issues with your guide. I didn't understand why you decided to write your own on another website instead of giving feedback (because you had obviously read mine). I even told you the guide was nice, but it seems like you removed the comment or something. I wonder who's overreacting?

I'm also very active here, meaning that you can contact me and I'll answer in less than 10 hours every time. Heck, I even tried to help you right here before! People have asked me to post my guide on other places and I've agreed. I was even happy about it.

Don't start acting like I'm a bad guy.

Upvote 0
Wow! You just made me realize what an idiot I was. I sincerely apologize, you're right.

To answer your question, I wrote my own tutorial because I felt that something more detailed was needed, and I posted it in my personal website because that's where I put all the stuff that I make. You're also right, in retrospective, I should have at least let you know that I was going to use your images or base my tutorial on yours. As a token of my sincere apologies you can now find credits given to you in my site.

I'm also not a jerk, just sleep deprived.
Cheers,

Reactions: DaSchmarotzer
Upvote 0
Wow! You just made me realize what an idiot I was. I sincerely apologize, you're right.

To answer your question, I wrote my own tutorial because I felt that something more detailed was needed, and I posted it in my personal website because that's where I put all the stuff that I make. You're also right, in retrospective, I should have at least let you know that I was going to use your images or base my tutorial on yours. As a token of my sincere apologies you can now find credits given to you in my site.

I'm also not a jerk, just sleep deprived.
Cheers,

Don't worry about it. ;) I'm also sorry if you think my previous post was kind of rude.

Plus I didn't update mine for Galaxo 1.6.3.4, so yours is probably better for newbies. And who needs guides? Newbies. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones