1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Galaxy 10.1 Verizon Text Messaging

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by steveboise, Jan 1, 2012.

1. steveboise

steveboise Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    I am planning to acquire a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 from Verizon on Monday. I communicate with employees and clients almost exclusively by text messaging and e-mail.

I know g-mail won't be an issue, but am concerned about text messaging. The salesperson didn't instill a lot of trust/confidence on how this will work on the tablet. He said it would be through Google voice, but couldn't explain how it actually works.

Someone out there share real-life experience/knowledge with me?
    I currently use an Android phone and plan to "dumb it down" to just a phone. They (Verizon) tells me to use one number for tablet for text and another for calls on the new, simple phone.

Thanks for all your insights and wisdom.
    Can't afford to make a purchasing error right now.

Advertisement

2. mrsbelpit

mrsbelpit Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    I use Google Voice to text from my tab (i have the wifi only version, but there will be no problem using it on 3/4g)

Use the voice app, make sure all of your contacts are on your Google account, and it will work flawlessly. It does not support MMS, but you can certainly email rather than worry about that. You have to sign up for a google voice number if you haven't already.

It will notify you of replies just like your phone or you can put the GV widget on your homescreen to see replies.

Another great thing about a GV number is that you will also be able to make free phone calls from your tablet with that number if you download a dialer (I use Groove IP, it's $5 in the market but definitely worth it)

3. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    business owner
    SoCal
    If you don't mind a separate number for messaging, HeyWire works great. I use it on my 4g phone as well as my wifi-only Tab.

4. trankster

trankster Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2010
    CPA
    Irvine, CA
    I don't think there is a way to use your cell # for texting on the GTab. I recently started using Text Plus app. It assigns a phone number and you can select one in your area code. I added a signature line, so contacts know text messages are coming from me. I also added Text Plus to my Android phone so that I receive texts on both phone and Tab, helpful when I don't have my Tab with me or not connected to WIFI.

5. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    business owner
    SoCal
    Maybe I misunderstood the OP's question. If you are trying to use one number for texting, irregardless of the device you happen to be on, that's a different matter. You can still use HeyWire on the Tab as I suggested previously, but you'll also need a means of forwarding your phone text messages to HeyWire. For that, I suggest dgAway or PhoneLeash. I've used both, and they both work for the purpose.

6. Breeze

Breeze Lurker
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    You can send and receive text messages on your Samsung Tab using your own cell number using mysms. I LOVE it. You have to download the app on both your cell and you tab. You register your number and when you get a text to your phone you'll also get a text on your tab. The app is awesome and free. As an extra bonus, if you log on to mysms on the web, you can also send and receive text via the web. I do this when I'm at work (blush).

Side Note: I also have handcent on my cell, so I disabled notifications on mysms on my cell (not my tab), because I didn't want double notifications on my cell.

Hope this helps.