• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy A5 no longer able to connect to vehicle via BT

RVX

Lurker
Jun 11, 2019
I was having some issues with my wifi recently, so I performed a reset on my network settings. This fixed my wifi issue, but now my Bluetooth no longer works with my vehicle.

I have a Boss BT speaker that I was able to pair after some headache, but I just can't pair my phone with my vehicle anymore.

The vehicle in question is a 2015 Acura MDX that doesn't have Google software installed. I was able to pair my phone in the past. I would set my vehicles audio source to BT, and my phone would detect "HandsFreeLink" (which is the BT name of the vehicle), and they would pair.

Now, I'm not sure if my phone sees my vehicle. When I search for BT devices, it never shows "HandsFreeLink" anymore. It just shows a list of MAC addresses. I'm not sure which represents my vehicle. I tried connecting to all of the ones in range (it shows a lot no matter where I am.. I should drive out to the desert and scan from there to make sure I just see my vehicle I guess).

I will randomly get message pop ups on my screen saying HandsFreeLink wants to pair with my phone, and will give a key number, but sometimes I can't click "ok" before it disappears, and other times I click "Ok", but it still fails to pair.

What I've done so far to try to fix it:

1) I've reset the settings again. No effect.
2) I've cleared my BT cache. No effect
3) I've ensured my phone is visible. No effect
4) Rebooted the phone (obviously). No effect.

I am at a loss at this point. I don't know what else it could be, and can't imagine resetting network settings would destroy Bluetooth functionality on my phone.

Any help would be appreciated!

Also, from the vehicle, I tried adding a new device (Pressing the Phone button on the console, which displayed all the phones that had paired with it in the past, including mine), and chose New Device. My phone would not show up on the list of neighboring devices that the vehicle can see, even though my phone visibility is on, and as mentioned above, my phone will get random messages from HandsFreeLink (the vehicle) asking to pair, and displaying the key number. Tapping Ok on the message never works, and sometimes the pop up closes even before I can click OK.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones