1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Galaxy Ace on Virgin Gingerbread update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by adamthepostie, Sep 16, 2011.

1. adamthepostie

adamthepostie Lurker
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    I bought an ACE a month ago (unlocked) from phones4u and inserted my Virgin sim card. The android o/s was 2.2 froyo. After a week i connected to Kies and updated to 2.3.3 (gingerbread). HOWEVER this update stopped my text messaging from working whilst on 3g. I took the ACE back to phones4u, explained the above and got another ACE (on froyo).
    My question is.. will gingerbread be available on VIRGIN network and how will i know if it is???

thank you

Advertisement

2. fuzzface

fuzzface Member
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    Blackpool, UK
    The Firmware for your phone isn't Virgin as your phone is sim free, which is why you got the 2.3.3 update. Texts failing whilst 3g active is unfortunately a common fault.

I suggest not upgrading your phone yet, but keep an eye on these forums for possible fixes.

GrahamF likes this.
  3. Slimboy Fat

Slimboy Fat Lurker
    None

Sep 4, 2011
    There is a workaround for the text problem in Gingerbread 2.3.3 using an app (Automate It ??? ) to switch off pocket data whenever the messaging app is used.

Virgin have just released Gingerbread 2.3.5 update but be careful, it fixes the messaging problem people (including me) are reporting a bigger problem with wifi locking out then the phone doing a mini reboot.