1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Galaxy ace rooting noob *advice please*

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lezbatt, Aug 4, 2013.

1. lezbatt

lezbatt Lurker

Hey,

As the title says I'm a noob to rooting. I've jail broken iphones I've had but never rooted.

I have the galaxy ace (gt-5830) on three uk running 2.3.6 and my baseband is s5830nekt2.

I was hoping you guys could help me find some good threads.

My questions are:

• If I use super one click will it be like jail breaking with a program such as red snow on the iphone?
    • Can I have a custom boot image that I have designed myself?

• What program should I use if I brick my phone?
    • Can I update to a custom firmware after rooting?

I've looked through tons of threads but was just wondering if anyone knows some reliable ways of doing what I would like to do?

thanks guys :D

Advertisement

2. ayush29k

ayush29k Android Expert

Depends on where all you have been looking :D
    If you have been reading threads in this forum or at the xda forums, then you can be quite sure they are mostly reliable, but still read the user reviews. If you have been reading individual blogs and stuff then in my personal opinion you may want to visit xda forums to confirm it before attempting it.

I never used an iphone so i cannot compare anything, but its quite easy to do if you understand what you are doing, just blindly following the steps my well leave you baffled and completely panicked in case something goes wrong.
    As for rooting this phone, you are runnning 2.3.6 firmware, i don't think you need superoneclick to root it, you can just put a zip file on your sd card and flash it through the phone's recovery mode, and you'll be rooted.

You can always unroot via the same way but just using a different zip file, you can use the Odin software to flash stock firmwares like the one you are currently running, its like a fail safe system unless you have a hard brick. At any time you get stuck on boot screens or unable to reach normal functionality of the phone, you can flash a fresh stock firmware via Odin and get your phone running again.
    Once rooted you can do anything you want with the software, flash custom kernels, custom roms, boot images, bootanimations, fonts, scripts, various mods or anything you want. Rooting is only the first step.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=12874680#post12874680
    Use this, the files and links may be old or not working, so look for other threads for them but the procedures are well given here.

3. lezbatt

lezbatt Lurker

Thank buddy :) It's always better to have a bit of reassurance from someone with a bit more experience :)

I'll have a look around for that zip file.

Thanks again :D

4. lezbatt

lezbatt Lurker

Right, I tried the root from sd card method. I used universal_root_gb_v25 because unfortunately v31 now requires you to do scam surveys :( This did not work either :( I get the super user app but no super user access. When I try to root or do a recovery i get this message

appling multi csc
    cant access to '/system/csc/h3g/system'.

But it says that it has completed at the end :S

I'm having a look for a fix now so will post when I have successfully rooted my phone :)

5. ayush29k

ayush29k Android Expert

Did you try the file from the link i posted? there are 2 methods there, try the older one, its file is still available for download, you may have to rename it to update.zip.

6. lezbatt

lezbatt Lurker

I tried the old method but it didn't work either. I then did a search on 4shared.com for upd_1.zip and found one called "[galaxy next] upd_1.zip" and then renamed it update.zip and did the install from sd and it worked thanks for the advice, much appreciated :)