• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and will probably come accross as sounding a bit daft but there are a few niggles i have with my new galaxy ace android phone and just had to find somewhere i could ask these questions.

1. Why does the background data have to be on before the likes of yahoo messenger will work?

2. Why does the battery drain so fast?

Sorry if i have posted this in the wrong area btw. And thanks in advance.

1- I have no idea, sorry!

2- The battery is only 1350 mAh and it does drain quite fast when the phone is brand new. There are many things you can do to economize your battery life, such as disabling your WiFi when the screen is locked (settings -> wireless and networks -> Wi-Fi settings -> press menu key -> advanced and then select Wi-Fi sleep policy). Also, remember that any running apps and services will slowly drain your battery so close apps whenever you're done with them.

There's an app called JuiceDefender that can definitely help your battery life, you can get a version of it for free, it's on the market.

Finally, the battery seems to get better after few recharges, let it get used to your usage. You most-likely will have to recharge it every day though.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for that. My Galaxy Ace is doing a good bit better now with regards to battery consumption. I just disable everything now (GPS, WIFI and GPRS) and use it when i need it, which kind of defeats the object of having a smartphone really! The background data needs to be switched on all the time in order for any IM'S to work or to receive any notifications from other app's, other smartphones seem to be able to run IM app's or Facebook without needing background data running! I'm gona try juicedefender and see how that goes too. Will let you know how i get on. Cheers, Martin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones