• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Galaxy Dialer and Contact?

you could try and if it doesn't work just reflash, you will want to pull Contacts.apk and Phone.apk from the galaxy rom then rm twphone.apk and twcontacts.apk in a shell before you push the new files over then reboot. As a note the dialer you make calls with is part of the Contact.apk and Phone.apk is responsible for the in-call functions.

Upvote 0
OK, I know it’s been a few weeks since this post, so, with no success thought I would try it again. Now since this post I’ve been running 1.6 No Twiz Warheads ROM and in my opinion, this is far the best ROM I’m ever ran, BIG thanks to you BH_man. Now have pulled the Contacts and the Phone apk files from the Galaxy ROM, I could not find the googlecontacts.apk file anywhere on the phone only GoogleContactsProvider file. I rm TouchWizContacts.apk and TouchWizphone.apk files, then pushed over the Contact and phone apk files to the phone and rebooted. Now it did work, kind of, I now had the Galaxy Dialer and the Galaxy contact list on the Warheads ROM but was getting major FC’s anytime I tried to make a call or scroll my list of contacts or view favorite list. Since it wasn’t working I ODIN my phone back to Warheads, I’m not sure if it’s possible but would Love to have this feature. Anymore help would be nice, thanks.

Upvote 0
OK, I know it’s been a few weeks since this post, so, with no success thought I would try it again. Now since this post I’ve been running 1.6 No Twiz Warheads ROM and in my opinion, this is far the best ROM I’m ever ran, BIG thanks to you BH_man. Now have pulled the Contacts and the Phone apk files from the Galaxy ROM, I could not find the googlecontacts.apk file anywhere on the phone only GoogleContactsProvider file. I rm TouchWizContacts.apk and TouchWizphone.apk files, then pushed over the Contact and phone apk files to the phone and rebooted. Now it did work, kind of, I now had the Galaxy Dialer and the Galaxy contact list on the Warheads ROM but was getting major FC’s anytime I tried to make a call or scroll my list of contacts or view favorite list. Since it wasn’t working I ODIN my phone back to Warheads, I’m not sure if it’s possible but would Love to have this feature. Anymore help would be nice, thanks.

Its funny that you wanted this and I do too. Warheads is by far the most stable for me especially using GDE for my home app. The Galaxy dialer and contacts require a lot less keystroke to use, hence i want to try and make it work with warheads. I'll let you know how it goes for me. Meanwhile, can someone upload Contacts.apk, Phone.apk and googlecontacts.apk from the Galaxy 1.6 R8 ROM?

Upvote 0
Okay, I have BH_MAN's Warheads ROM installed. I got the Galaxy 1.6 R8 dialer working so far with no FC. I swapped the TouchWizContacts.apk with Contacts.apk from the Galaxy ROM(properly renamed) but FC with an error of android.process.acore. I'll keep working on it. Meantime, I might just put the Warheads TouchWizContacts.apk back in.

The Contacts.apk is the Dialer...
It's not an easy Fix, this is the Very same thing I'm currently doing just fyi :D

Upvote 0
The Contacts.apk is the Dialer...
It's not an easy Fix, this is the Very same thing I'm currently doing just fyi :D

Oops, got it backwards. I ended up swapping the "phone" and "contacts" APK's since they work together. I found a temporary solution. "Favorites" tab on the Galaxy dialer works, so I went to my GMail on PC and "Starred" all my contacts as "Favorites". Syncing with my phone right now. :D

EDIT: For now, I have Warheads ROM with Galaxy dialer. My contacts button goes directly to the "Favorites" tab on the dialer. This in turn made my make-shift contact list like the Android 2.1. It shows contact picture with it. When you click on a contact, then you have a choice of Calling, Texting, etc. I love it. Did I mention that the Galaxy dialer behaves like the Samsung dialer that it actually vibrates as you press the keys?

Thank you DGarmon for uploading the APK's.

Upvote 0
Neo, would you happen to want to explain your steps....To me that's a great Idea, since I use the "Favorites" tab 99% of the time....Thanks..:).

Well, just log in to your GMail account using a computer. Then under your contacts tab, Select "All" your contacts, then on the right pane, under "Group", choose Add To "Starred in Android". Then "Save". On your phone, under "Data Syncronization", press MENU, then "Sync Now". Hopefully that helps.

Upvote 0
lol...Sorry I know how to do that piece, I ment this part.." Oops, got it backwards. I ended up swapping the "phone" and "contacts" APK's since they work together. I found a temporary solution. "Favorites" tab on the Galaxy dialer works".... So do I need to push the phone and contacts APKs the my phone and replace rm TouchWizContacts.apk and TouchWizphone.apk files?

Sorry should of be more clear....:), thanks for you help.

Upvote 0
You will need to remove the existing TouchWizPhone.apk and TouchWizContacts.apk and download the apk's above. Rename them to TouchWizPhone and TouchWizContacts, then push them back in.

I was getting the same acore forceclose in Warheads after I removed the Home++ launcher and put back Advanced Launcher, as Home++ was not working out too well for me. I don't know how removing that was tied to the contacts.apk, but I did the above and now it is working.

Upvote 0
Well, just log in to your GMail account using a computer. Then under your contacts tab, Select "All" your contacts, then on the right pane, under "Group", choose Add To "Starred in Android". Then "Save". On your phone, under "Data Syncronization", press MENU, then "Sync Now". Hopefully that helps.

I don't have the option "Starred in Android" under my "Groups" menu. Do I have to do anything in order for this to show up first?

Upvote 0
You will need to remove the existing TouchWizPhone.apk and TouchWizContacts.apk and download the apk's above. Rename them to TouchWizPhone and TouchWizContacts, then push them back in.

I was getting the same acore forceclose in Warheads after I removed the Home++ launcher and put back Advanced Launcher, as Home++ was not working out too well for me. I don't know how removing that was tied to the contacts.apk, but I did the above and now it is working.

What ROM are you using?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones