• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Gear & Samsung S4 Google Edition Issues

My wife bought me a Gear watch for Christmas. I've installed the software twice on my Samsung Galaxy S4, the Google edition, and it isn't even close to working correctly. For example:

* No notifications other than phone calls.
* No weather on the clock.
* Several apps in Gear Manager just say "Error Occurred" when i config them.
* "Samsung Apps" on the Gear Manager screen, just respond with "Not Installed".
* Not sure the software update function works, it just says "connecting to server" and does nothing else.

I am on software release V700XXUAMII and Android 4.4.2. Phone is on the AT&T network, but I don't think that matters.

I've been on the Samsung support site, which is really weak. No help there. You can't even leave a support email since the Gear is not a valid product in their drop down lists on the email page.

Does anyone have a Gear watch running on a Google edition S4?

I am starting to think that without touchwiz and other Samsung/carrier software the watch won't be fully functional, which really sucks (Google play edition is stock android, no vendor software at all).

Thanks, Barry

Going to answer my own question here, after doing research most of the day yesterday.

The short answer is NO, the gear does not work correctly on the S4 GPE. Samsung Tech support (via twitter @SamsungSupport) confirmed this to me. The phone needs to have access to the Samsung App store to download various things, including the gear manager (main app for the watch). The GPE phone does not have that, and installing the APK for it fails on my phone. I was able to get the camera working, and phone integration works. Nothing else.

Now, having said all that I am sure given enough time and effort there is some way to get this watch to work on he S4 GPE. You can root the phone (it's unlocked), and root the watch (trivial to do this) and at some point someone who knows more about Android than I do could get this working. For $300 I expect it to work out of the box, and not be a research project.

We sent it back to Amazon yesterday, went out and bought a Pebble. I had every notification I wanted (txt, email, FB, etc.) working in about 5 minutes.

One other thing I wanted to add to this is that Samsung doesn't seem to have any developer ecosystem behind this device. They artificially limit it to the Samsung line of phones. The Pebble on the other hand has a simple C based SDK, a developer ecosystem, and works on any Android or iOS phone. I like that better.

Reactions: ocnbrze and KOLIO
Upvote 0
Sorry that you had to find out after the fact that the GEAR wasn't fully functional w/a GPE device.
Unfortunately, that bit of information isn't made readily available.I think SAMSUNG could forward a disclaimer to the retailers to make it appear somewhere on their sites/stores & perhaps make it part of sales staff training to ask potential customers which phone they're buying the GEAR for.
That last recommendation, I realize, is a bit of a stretch, but, not unreasonable, (IMHO).

I wish you had the opportunity to use the GEAR as it was intended, I believe it would've exceeded your expectations.

I'm currently using a non-GEAR enabled phone (LG G2) after using the NOTE 3 & actually miss the GEAR more than the N3.

Good luck with the Smartwatch that you've chosen & WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS bcondrey ! :party:

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
you could have rooted the gear and then you would have been able to use it on a your s4.....the latest null rom makes it so that it is compatible with numerous phones including the s4

oh well too late.....lol

Is ANDROID 4.3 a requirement for this?
Also,I've seen reports of some phones (non-Samsung) having compatibility.Is this also w/4.3 &/or a GEAR ROM needed,namely the phone I currently have,the G2.
I have GEAR MANAGER loaded but,not the apps that go w/it.

NFC pairing brings up the 6-digit code,followed by a B/T pairing/connection,but I lose the B/T connection within a minute of pairing.

If I were to side-load the GEAR APPS,would this work on a stock/unrooted G2?

THX! :)

Upvote 0
Is ANDROID 4.3 a requirement for this?
Also,I've seen reports of some phones (non-Samsung) having compatibility.Is this also w/4.3 &/or a GEAR ROM needed,namely the phone I currently have,the G2.
I have GEAR MANAGER loaded but,not the apps that go w/it.

NFC pairing brings up the 6-digit code,followed by a B/T pairing/connection,but I lose the B/T connection within a minute of pairing.

If I were to side-load the GEAR APPS,would this work on a stock/unrooted G2?

THX! :)

the latest rom supposedly has bluetooth compatibility and it should work on most other phones.

not sure on gear apps....my guess you might need to root the phone, but i'm not sure.

not sure if this helps:
[ROM] null_ 16 / 25TH DEC / DEVELOPMENT THREAD [ AROMA / ROOTED / DEODEXED ] - Page 6 - xda-developers

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I tried to side-load the SAMSUNG APPS STORE (on the G2),& get the GEAR APPS that way. Of course, it didn't work, no surprise there.

I have a sale on the GEAR pending, potential buyer is test-driving as we speak.
If this sale is a no-go, I have another deal lined-up for Thursday.
Should both fall through, I'll give this ROM a shot.

Upvote 0
I have a sale on the GEAR pending, potential buyer is test-driving as we speak.

Sold the GEAR today. Definitely woulda been a keeper if it was compatible with other mfgs w/o rooting/ROMS/etc.....

The GEAR2 is rumored to be just a couple months or so away, will definitely give it a look if it's usable with any ANDROID phone.

Enjoy the GEAR everyone, lots to like w/this device. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones