1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Galaxy GT-I9100G OS Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nikhil24, Jan 9, 2012.

1. nikhil24

nikhil24 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    Hi,

My dad bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 from KSA.
    Below are the details:

GT-I9100G
    Android 2.3.4
    Baseband Version: I9100GDZKH5
    Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7 root@DELL81 #2
    Build Number: GINGERBREAD.JPKH8

Thing is, I am in India.
    When I try to upgrade the firm ware using Kies over WiFi (have given up on finding a solution to the USB cable problem) it says No Firmware upgrade available.

I'm a complete newbie at android but have seen a lot of posts saying that update for Gingerbread 2.3.6 is available for this model.

Can someone help me with understanding if im doing something wrong coz I dont really want to miss out the updates.

Also, since my dad created his own samsung account on the phone, I cant seem to remove that and put mine instead.

Any help for this would really help me a lot :)

Advertisement

2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Android Expert

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Welcome to android forum nikhil24

It may be because of your service provider. Some carriers will release updates before others so if kies tells you there isn't an update its because you're on the latest available. It could also be because you have the G version. I'm not too familiar with that model but I know it has different firmware to the gt so it may be the case that they are just further behind.

To add your google account go to settings, accounts and sync and then add account. After adding your new account you can long press on your dads one to remove it.

3. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    If Kies is showing no update available then that means that you have the latest update currently available for your country/carrier combination. You'd have to use another country's unlocked firmware to get a newer revision.

Also, keep in mind that your 9100G is NOT the global Galaxy S2. The 9100 uses the Exynos SOC whereas the 9100G uses the OMAP 4430 SOC. Both use a dual-core Cortex-A9 1.2ghz CPU, but the main difference is the GPU. The Exynos uses the Mali 400MP4 GPU whereas the OMAP uses the PowerVR SGX 540. I'm a fan of the PowerVR, but most people around here consider the Mali to be superior.

Your 9100G will give you better game compatibility and performance due largely to games being optimized for PowerVR (especially iPhone ports), whereas the 9100 is Samsung's higher-volume handset and should see more and faster updates. Pick your poison. Your 9100G will not run ROMs made for the 9100, to include CM9 at this point.

4. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    I think the G is not as good actually. Have a look. Although there are certain benefits to be had...

Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 vs. GT-I9100G Ultimate Comparison Guide. All You Need to Know! | 10Division.com

And I strongly suggest you wait for an official update unless you know for sure its compatible with your model. If you factory reset the phone, it would likely mean you can re-enter your account for the phone. I know after factory reset, the phone will request your gmail account again. That's when you can change it to your own account I guess.

Cheers

5. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    I've had this debate many times. Because the Exynos's GPU benchmarks higher in fill-rate tests than OMAP's PowerVR, a lot of people consider the Exynos to be superior. I don't blame them, it's awesome kit. However, these same people tend to "forget" about a benchmark on the same page as those fill-rate results; geometric performance. PowerVR beats the Mali by a near 2 to 1 margin in the textured triangle test. Why does this matter? Fill-rate can be taxed by using anti-aliasing (chainfire), increasing the resolution (won't happen on a static device), or other minor in-game tweaks. But, those are the big ones. The average user isn't using chainfire, though the AA is nice. So, what taxes geometric performance? More complex scenes, something that each new generation of games increases.

Here's an example using two devices that I own, an SGS2 i9100 (Exynos), and a Kindle Fire (OMAP4 w/PVR). The Kindle runs at a higher resolution, which taxes the fill-rate, meaning that performance should be worse on the Kindle anyway. I've loaded the same game on both, Gameloft's Order and Chaos Online. This is a visually appealing title meant to mimic World of Warcraft and it makes heavy use of geometry. On the Kindle, there is minimal noticeable polygon "pop" and the draw distance is tolerable. On the SGS2, the draw distance seems to be about the same for the most part, but there is significant "pop" in short, medium, and long distance. Larger objects being drawn cause a noticeable stutter. In between these stutters, the SGS2 has a more fluid framerate, but the stutters are so constant, it becomes annoying. Played it on a friend's Droid X (Tegra 2), and while the framerate there was noticeably worse it was still consistent with no stutter. I think the best way to describe the GPU elements of the Exynos vs. OMAP is that in more demanding games, the Exynos is more fluid with occasional stutters whereas the OMAP gives more consistent performance.

Future games aren't going to be limited to just Angry Birds 4. Games are becoming more complex, and while I applaud ARM's excellent fill-rate and feature set in Mali, the feature set of the Power VR SGX series seems to be more in line with what games are actually using. This comes down to the same old PC debate of nVidia versus ATI back in the day; sure, benchmark results are nice, but show me the actual games and how they perform. In actual game performance, I've found OMAP > Exynos, although I do love my SGS2 and wouldn't give it up for anything currently available.

6. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    I think there are probably pros and cons to either versions. The fact that Asphalt 6 didn't work means there was some issue with the G version although seems to work after updates. Guess they still need to work out the kinks.

Like they mentioned, battery last longer... so that is a major plus point. And if its only a couple of apps that don't run properly and it can be resolved with updates, maybe it isn't so bad. I did hear they underclock the CPU though, so not sure how true that is. That might be why it is a little slower in certain cases.

That said, since this is technically a new and different version, the support in terms of updates, and flashing of firmwares would probably still be lacking.

I also won't change my phone for any other currently... :D

Cheers