1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Galaxy Nexus - A great 3G phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by OhMyNexus, Dec 20, 2011.

1. OhMyNexus

OhMyNexus Member
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    This is pathetic. I can't hold a 4G signal worth crap. My phone eventually drops into no man's land and I can't make or receive calls or data. If I don't reboot the phone when this happens, then it gets super hot and the battery drains in about 30 minutes. This is happening to all my friends and family who have this phone too.

What really grinds my gears is that they could have told us that they were having these issues before the phone was released and said the phone wouldn't be out until the problems were fixed... or at least let us know that some of us would most likely have to run in 3G only mode until the fix was out.

BTW - How many of you signed up on their website to get more information from Verizon Wireless about the Nexus, only to not receive an e-mail notification that the phone was released? Pathetic.

I went into an official Verizon Wireless store the day it was released and they didn't even know the phone was released that day. The employees told me the phone wasn't out yet and I had to tell them that yes indeed it was and then I even walked one of the employees over to the Galaxy Nexus that they had on display. None of them had ever seen or were trained on the phone. To make matters worse, they had about 10 people working and only 2 people checking people out. So there were 3 people ahead of me in line and it took me just over an hour to walk in, get my phone and walk out. I felt like I was in that movie Idiocracy.

Advertisement

2. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    They probably didn't say it was a problem because not everyone is experiencing the problem.

I get a great 4G signal. I even get a 4G signal in my office where my signal is always bad.

3. Premium1

None

Dec 3, 2011
    Same here. Great 4g signal.

4. clb2196

clb2196 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Huh, I woke up on release day and had the email notifcation about the Nexus waiting for me. Also all my store employees were excited about the Nexus, at least one already had it as their personal device. And I have a nice solid 4G signal all the time. So... mileage varies, I guess.

5. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Web to Print Content Developer
    NC
    My 4G is so-so, and although I would be disappointed if 4G was completely useless on this phone, I think I might still consider a 3G vanilla OS with full root capability over a locked 4G phone with a custom UI. ;)

6. wtherrell

wtherrell Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    North Carolina
    My 3g and WiFi on Gnex-not so hot either.
    So today, sitting at a certain location just outside my house I turned on the wifi in my laptop and on the Gnex at the same time. WiFi analyzer showed excellent signal strength on the laptop, poor on the Gnex and kept scanning and rescanning for a better network. I hope I am not having a panic attack about taking this phone back before the point of no return date is up. I guess I don't really have much faith in Verizon's ability to correct this problem.

7. krs128

krs128 Well-Known Member
    None

May 1, 2010
    my 4g is great (buffalo, NY)... but good bye battery lol

8. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 2, 2011
    Eastern TN
    OP - I recommend that you exchange your handset; that does not sound right. My 4G and 3G has been solid (Northeast TN) and no overheating of the phone whatsoever.

9. dan h

dan h Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    4.03 update fixes the problem. I'm rooted and on 4.03 and now I'm able to hold a 4g signal with no issues.

10. mattywalnuts

mattywalnuts Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 17, 2011
    L.I.
    Sorry to hear that...

I received a welcome email from google with instructional videos the day after i activated the device, pretty helpful.

Tags: