• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Battery Life

actually, i've seen a number of articles like this pop up on my news feed.

This Tip Could Cure Your iPhone 4S Battery

i am curious what the big difference is between their 1420mAh battery (on the 4) and the stock 1850mAh or 2100mAh for the gnex. i've always been amazed at iphoners that get 24+ hrs of normal use.

Has nothing to do with the battery tech. Much more to do with the OS. FWIW, my brother in laws 4 lost nearly 60% battery on iOS5 while laying idle at night.

Upvote 0
Has nothing to do with the battery tech. Much more to do with the OS. FWIW, my brother in laws 4 lost nearly 60% battery on iOS5 while laying idle at night.

understood. reading back on it, it's not that clear but that's what i was wondering... what is so much different about iOS vs Android that they can achieve much greater battery life?

Upvote 0
Seems like Nexus battery likes to be over-charged than charged right up to 100% and unplugged. I noticed it has a little more battery juice if it stayed on charger extra hours after reaching 100%.

And I don't see much battery life difference in checking "don't keep activities" in setting/developer. I'm not sure what it really does as I still see apps running in background with it checked.

Upvote 0
understood. reading back on it, it's not that clear but that's what i was wondering... what is so much different about iOS vs Android that they can achieve much greater battery life?

Extremely limited multitasking (which is why iOS4-5 have become battery killers compared to their former versions) not to mention they've made so little changes to it since the first iteration that they've had time to perfect most all of the nuances.

Upvote 0
iPhone has no 4G, much smaller screen on hardware. That makes big difference in battery drain. iOS is also much simpler, no true multi-tasking OS.

Apple introduced pull-down notification bar, better multi-tasking in iOS5, and it seems to be taxing on battery life. I didn't use iPhone4S myself, but general consensus is iPhone4 is lasting longer than 4S. I think iPhone will gradually lose its battery life advantage as Apple is trying to implement more features into iOS to make it more like Android.

Upvote 0
As always, size matters. The Nexus screen is 33% larger. That eats up a lot of juice.
Agreed, and it's more than you realize since the Galaxy Nexus has a 61% larger screen area (please pardon my nitpicking).

iOS 5 really destroyed the Iphones battery. My brother in law said he routinely loses 20-60% over night.
My iPhone4 with iOS5 loses only ~3% overnight.

Does your brother-in-law's iPhone have the GPS symbol always on? I noticed that was happening and battery life was suffering, so I figured out which 3rd party app was constantly using Location Services in the background and disabled it (just for that one app):
Code:
> Settings 
   > Location Services 
       > selected that one app and turned it off
I ended up deleting that app as I didn't use it anyway (sorry, I forget which app it was). I currently have Location Services on for everything that uses it (37 apps in my case).

Hope that helps.

On a side note, I picked up a spare battery for the VGN even though I don't have the phone yet (my switch was delayed due to odd circumstances; hopefully I'll get it next week).

Upvote 0
I'm definitely not having any issues with battery life:

(since links aren't allowed, I'll just give the numbers, I have a screenshot, but I can't give it here.)

On battery: 1d 22h 40m 55s
Battery Life: 5% (I don't remember exactly, but it was between 5% and 10%)

This is with the extended battery.

That's with 4G, GPS and Sync on most of the time (other than on WiFi for a little bit near the beginning) and light-to-moderate use (for me...probably on the light side for most people).

Upvote 0
Seems like Nexus battery likes to be over-charged than charged right up to 100% and unplugged. I noticed it has a little more battery juice if it stayed on charger extra hours after reaching 100%.

And I don't see much battery life difference in checking "don't keep activities" in setting/developer. I'm not sure what it really does as I still see apps running in background with it checked.

Reminds me of my Droid Incredible. We were all having to do the "bump charge" on that phone.

Upvote 0
I was going strong with excellent battery life. I swapped from the extended to the "slimline" normal battery and forgot about that change last week.

It's been holding out great even through some gotomeeting setups and a ton of emails (my corp laptop died last friday, and this is all I got, yay).

Hehe I like doing that just so. I have a case that will fit on my belt lol

Upvote 0
just got my phone yesterday and was reading this thread most of the night after my phone went from 40% to dead in less then two hours. I was slightly concerned, but I charged the phone to 100% and made some of the tweaks suggested in this thread (turned the screen brightness way down, force closed the camera, turned gps off since I have a gps if I need it etc). I've actually been streaming Pandora over my halfway decent LTE signal at my house for 3.5 hours now just trying to kill it so I can start the second charge cycle. To say I'm satisfied with the battery is an understatement. If it gets better after the third or fourth charge I can't imagine the battery life being an issue for me....

EDIT: since I can't post images being a new user I'll just copy the figures

Battery is at 10%
14hours 1 minute
Screen 33%
Voice Calls 14%
Media Server: 12%
Android OS: 11%
Phone Idle 10%
Standby 8%
Pandora 7%
Android System: 3%
WiFi: 2%

Screen on time is just under two hours...

Also it looks like force closing the camera helped with my awake time, as the only significant blue sections are for the couple of calls i made earlier in the day and the time I've been streaming pandora.

Upvote 0
THREE DAYS before reporting any stats, and those days better be full charges. The OS has to collect battery stats, and then report them as accurately as it can.

Not just ICS, but also other versions, and it's been the repeated flogging of people that even flash roms over and over.

Really, just give it a few days, first day is going to be brutal if you are relying on the OS reporting! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones