• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Battery Life

Sporting the regular generic battery it came with and i must say, I could not be happier. My battery life is phenomenal. Almost completely equivalent to my OG DRoid who was in good condition. I went all day yesterday and half of today on one charge. I updated and downloaded plenty of apps, wifi on 100% of the time, data and bluetooth as well. I sent probably 40 texts and made maybe 10 1-5 minute calls. Words with friends, Wells fargo app twice, sent a couple of emails, showed me mom how to use her phone by example for almost an hour of complete messing with settings. It's just now to 20%.

Battery life for me is where I need it. Amazing. I had a Razr for 12 days (wonder why?) and it would die in 10 hours with zero to absolute little use.

Upvote 0
My battery life is pretty weird too. I charged it to 100% after killing it and 4min after I booted up the phone it was down 7%. Now its been 3h51min and the phone is down to 86% and all I have done is send 3 txt and take 1 pic. Pretty weird how fast it seems to drain especially right after it hits 100%

Upvote 0
I really want this phone. But I travel a lot for work and am not always by a charger. I was concerned by some of the reports of poor battery life. I know it is 4g so it will suck compared to other 3g phones. Just wondering how people feel it compares to other 4g phones on Verizon. I have heard people complain but they don't always list what phones they have used as a comparison. I have the Droid 2 with extended battery and if I get anywhere close to that I would be very happy.

Upvote 0
I had a TB with an extended battery before this. I wouldnt expect it to get what the TB did. Depending on what I was doing with that I got 40ish to 60ish hours on it. Until I get back to work after the holidays I wont know what I would normally get with the Nexus. I have however gotten as little as 6.5-7hrs if I was purposely trying to kill it. I streamed a Netflix movie plus some of another along with calls and txt when I got that little. But Id like to think 2 hours worth of the screen being on and pure streaming over WiFi would put a huge dent in it.

Upvote 0
Does anyone have the link for the extended battery for the Nexus? I know one exists, but I can't find it anywhere on the VZW website. I think it's only about 20% more capacity, but it would be worth it.

I think its less than 20%. It is only 250mah more of a battery. I got the charger with the extra battery. Figured a whole other batter for $39 vs a bit more of an extended for $50 was a better deal.

Upvote 0
Here are my usage stats. Charged to 100% Friday and let it die then recharged the phone, while off, to 100%. Took the phone off the charger yesterday at around 5:45pm and it is still up.

CallTime.png

BattOverview.png

BattGraph.png

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The battery gauge is atrocious on this OS. I turned the phone off and charged it for a while, the indicator that shows charge while off said a little over 25%, turned the phone back on and the gauge said 77%.

For those having terrible battery life please try this.

Charge your phone with it off completely and then turn it back on, I suspect the OS has a terrible problem with reporting inaccurate status. I know it can be hard to find time to do this, but I think you will find a DRASTIC improvement if you do. My phone is registering ~30-50% more than the battery is actually at I'm pretty sure.

Reactions: yan193
Upvote 0
LIKE A BOSS!!!!

6537416953_110d16b04a.jpg

6537417007_190e2a39bd.jpg

23 hours 30 minutes off charger and 4 hours 40 minutes of USAGE!!!!

I am blown away coming from my original post where I was going through my 2100 extended battery in 10 hours off charger and 2 hours of usage. This is on wifi most of the time, LTE off, screen at 25%. This was fairly heavy usage of texting, web surfing, fb, market, etc. After my horrible battery life I did a factory reset and the only app I've added so far is Wallet. I'm hoping to achieve similar numbers today. If I can repeat this today I will then start slowly adding apps back, noting any changes to battery life.

Note last night about an hour before I put it on the charger I did the setting fix to turn off sound for clicks and lock. I cannot tell if that had any bearing on battery life. Also I should note that the last time I ran through my battery in 10 hours and 2.5 hours of screen on time, the screen ate most of the battery, just as it does now. Not sure whether I can contribute the doubling of battery life to calibration from the OS and accurate reporting, multiple battery charges conditioning the battery, factory reset, or what.

Upvote 0
LIKE A BOSS!!!!

23 hours 30 minutes off charger and 4 hours 40 minutes of USAGE!!!!

I am blown away coming from my original post where I was going through my 2100 extended battery in 10 hours off charger and 2 hours of usage. This is on wifi most of the time, LTE off, screen at 25%. This was fairly heavy usage of texting, web surfing, fb, market, etc. After my horrible battery life I did a factory reset and the only app I've added so far is Wallet. I'm hoping to achieve similar numbers today. If I can repeat this today I will then start slowly adding apps back, noting any changes to battery life.

Note last night about an hour before I put it on the charger I did the setting fix to turn off sound for clicks and lock. I cannot tell if that had any bearing on battery life. Also I should note that the last time I ran through my battery in 10 hours and 2.5 hours of screen on time, the screen ate most of the battery, just as it does now. Not sure whether I can contribute the doubling of battery life to calibration from the OS and accurate reporting, multiple battery charges conditioning the battery, factory reset, or what.

Thanks for again proving that it's the crappy radio.

Upvote 0
Thanks for again proving that it's the crappy radio.

Well I would agree if it weren't for the fact that when I only got 10 hours off charger & 2 or so hours of usage, I was on Wifi that time too. So I don't know that I can say it's necessarily the radio. Also the last time my screen ate up most of it too, just like it did this time.

Upvote 0
The battery life on my GN is horrible. I took it off the charger 3.5 hours ago and I am at 42% with minimal usage. I am not a totally technical phone person like some of you are, but have been reading through these message boards trying to figure out what is going on with this device. I have the standard battery and I did buy the spare standard battery with the charger. I do not use Wifi...never used it before on any phone and not really sure what it is for as I always just used the VZW network on my phone.

Yesterday, I was out for 6 hours with my friends and my phone nearly died. 6 hours doesn't seem acceptable. Most of the day the phone was in my purse so the screen was off.

My signal strength is at -104 so I am not sure if that is the cause. But right now, this is seriously making me question if my phone is a dud or not. I was SO excited to get this phone but right now I don't have much to rave about.

And I really don't think installing apps to fix bugs should be necessary. A phone should work correctly out of the box. I can't get the LED to work either, even with installing Light Flow after reading about it on this board. And at work I keep my phone on silent, so without the LED or constantly checking the phone since it locks after 1 minute, I won't know if I got a missed call, text, email, Kik message, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Upvote 0
I've been off the charger for 4 hours and I'm at 87% with moderate to heavy use. THIS BATTERY LIFE IS TERRIBLE!!! I'm on 4G, too!

:D:D

You must be one of the lucky ones. I have been trying everything for the past 4 days (Thursday AM). Turned off 4g, NFC, tinkered with developer options for Background process and Don't keep activities. Anything I do I still am getting about 6 hrs battery.

Right now I have 50% with 4 hrs of use and screen on for 51 min. That is AWFUL! My OG droid could last about 1.5 times longer.

I am not sure what else to try besides uninstalling Apps. :(

edit: 40% after 4h 15m

Upvote 0
I'm posting this in several threads: I started with the same 2-3 hour of battery problem as everybody else. Problem solved. Like my previous phones (storm, droid, incredible, thunderbolt) 3-4 full battery drains and recharges with the phone off. Then 3-4 full battery drains and recharges with the phone power on.

Screen at 50% and not set to adjust at low power. 30 second screen timeout. Static wallpaper. ADW launcher ex 20 icons per page, 3 pages. 4G on. Wifi off. All snyc settings at manual and app. updates wifi only.

Glad to say I just got 17 hours out of the battery after moderate use. A few phone calls, multiple texts, took at least 20 pictures with flash on and added a few contacts. I also had facebook book open in the browser. I did some browsing. Did not watch any videos.

There you go. Good luck. I love this phone!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones