• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus battery saving tips..Post em!

The Galaxy Nexus uses an AMOLED screen. There is no backlight, each pixel individually gives off its own light. The pixels actually use no power what so ever when they display black; they are completely "off". Setting your wallpaper to a solid black color can help battery life, especially if you find yourself waking your phone up a million times a day to see what time it is or if you have a notification. Certain apps allow color schemes that can improve battery life too. An example is the Amazon Kindle app. It defaults to showing books as black text on a white background. You can set it to display white text on a black background which is considerably more battery efficient on an AMOLED display and looks quite nice actually. If you don't want to use a black background, any kind of darker colored background will use less power than a brighter colored one.

Turn off vibrations for general use. Each individual vibration isn't going to use a lot of power but just think about how many times over the course of the day that the vibrate motor has to crank up every time you unlock your phone, use the on screen face buttons, or type on the keyboard. It's really just a fancy but battery consuming feature.

Turn off location in the web browser. If you leave it on and have location enabled on Google and it is your homepage, the phone will turn on the GPS every time you open the web browser which consumes additional battery.

Some weather apps such as Weatherbug let you either specify location or use the GPS. It is better to specify the city where you want it to tell you the weather over using the GPS because it takes less power to use just the data connection than it does to use the GPS and the data connection.

Widgets are like small always running applications, the more you have, the more power they use. I prefer using app icons for pretty much everything myself.

Changing the network mode from CDMA/LTE to CDMA only can improve battery life even if you are already in a 3G only area.

Turning off all three check boxes for location services will improve battery life a bit as well. You will have to turn the GPS back on when you want to use the GPS however.

Exit apps with the back button, not the home button when you are done with them. Exiting apps with the back button is the closest thing to exiting a windows program with the X. Exiting an app with the home button is the same thing as hitting the - to minimize an app in windows. Apps generally sit in ram either way, but they do have a sleep mode and a mode where they sit in background running at full power. Exiting apps with the home button should only be done if you deliberately want to go back to exactly where you were in the app and intend to do so in the near future because the app will be running the entire time.

Setting the brightness to a manual, low level is more battery efficient than using auto brightness. I set every phone I get to 25% manual brightness.

This is my first phone with Near Field Communication so I can't say this based on first hand knowledge, only theory: You might save some battery life if you turn off Near Field Communications when you're not using it.

Don't update or install apps when you're out and about, only do so when you're on wifi and or on a charger. The urge to update apps is very hard for me to resist.

Upvote 0
Tip 1: dont use the phone!

Oh wait, I had a full charge before bed...woke up, it was turned completely dead. Scratch that....

Tip 2: Wait for update to fix signal issue.....

It can either be an issue with the phone itself, or with your battery. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm wondering if Samsung has manufacturing issues with their batteries.

Try getting a replacement battery from your Verizon store and see if that makes a difference.

Upvote 0
3. Disable NFC - don't see myself using this anytime soon at all

NFC doesn't use battery when not in use.

4. Disable push notifications for gmail

Push is more efficient than pull email for the battery. Push will result in LESS battery usage unless you set pull for ridiculously long intervals.

5. Disable gps

GPS doesn't use battery when not in use (i.e. no GPS icon flashing in the notification bar)

I'm not sure why these myths persist.

Upvote 0
There isn't really a universal one, there's a few settings in different places. Settings, sound, vibrate on touch is for the on screen face buttons. Security, vibrate on touch is for the lock screen. Then of course in the keyboard settings you can find the one for the keyboard. Then most 3rd party apps that use vibration let you turn those off in the options/settings within the app.

Reactions: eaknet
Upvote 0
There isn't really a universal one, there's a few settings in different places. Settings, sound, vibrate on touch is for the on screen face buttons. Security, vibrate on touch is for the lock screen. Then of course in the keyboard settings you can find the one for the keyboard. Then most 3rd party apps that use vibration let you turn those off in the options/settings within the app.

Thanks didn't think to look in sound lol. I like having it on, but need to figure out something to help the battery life of this thing.

Upvote 0
Tip 1: dont use the phone!

Oh wait, I had a full charge before bed...woke up, it was turned completely dead. Scratch that....

Tip 2: Wait for update to fix signal issue.....

had 96% before bed, woke up its down to 70% after 6 hours.

last night i tried turning the 4g off on the phone by switching to "cdma only." This made it so I had no data connection at all. I had to restart it, and it wouldn't come back on right away, but finally got the 4g back. Except now the 4g reception seems worse in the same place. I had spent the last couple days not messing with 4g/3g and it was getting pretty good reception.

Upvote 0
had 96% before bed, woke up its down to 70% after 6 hours.

last night i tried turning the 4g off on the phone by switching to "cdma only." This made it so I had no data connection at all. I had to restart it, and it wouldn't come back on right away, but finally got the 4g back. Except now the 4g reception seems worse in the same place. I had spent the last couple days not messing with 4g/3g and it was getting pretty good reception.

i have great 4g reception at my place, when i restart it still takes about a minute to acquire the 4g signal

Upvote 0
i was going to post a tip...but i haven't found any lol.

seriously tho. I do leave my 4G off most of the time. I only turn it on for certain things.

I can't wait till we get some custom kernals for this thing. That should help major with battery life.

Lol. That's probably what I will do with my Nexus when I get it next week. I will put it in 3G mode when I'm at work using it just like phone. I will turn on 4G when I need to stream video/audio, browse web heavily. There is no pointing of 4G draining battery on stand by for syncing texts, emails, SNS, etc.

Upvote 0
The only option I can find is for it to be able to toggle 2G/3G so until they can incorporate it, nope (unless I'm not seeing it).
It's an insanely powerful app but has a HUGE learning curve. (at least for tech lazies like me :eek:)

Edit: there are some apps/widgets in the Market that can do this. Not sure of them of the top of my head.

I found this the other day to create a way in Tasker to turn on/off 4g. Works well. Hopefully it's ok that I post this link: [LTE][TASKER] BAMF LTE Widget v0.4 [01/12/2012]

Upvote 0
This phone lasts longer than my Desire HD for me so im happy.

My usual setup routine for android phones is
1. Turn off all haptic feedback.
2. Turn off all typing/touch sounds. Though, on tge gnex ive ledt typing sounds on cos its not offensive.
3. Screen brightness to auto.
4. Static wallpaper.

Thats pretty much it. I dont see the point of disabling my smart phone.

My best recommendation would be to invest in a desktop cradle. Plug your phone in whenever youre at your desk and it will probably never run out of juice.

Reactions: NexusTootsie
Upvote 0
Use Tasker (similar to motorola smart actions but way more powerful and has been out forever). You can create scenarios to turn things on and off based on time of day/ day of week, etc.

As an example, M-T 8:15 to 4:55 when I am at work, it turns off bluetooth, gps, and wifi, because I am sitting at my desk. At 455 it turns them all back on.

+1 for Tasker. It has a pretty steep learning curve compared to other apps, but learning it is well worth the effort.

That being said, my 3800mAh battery is being delivered today. I don't relish the thought of making this bad boy thicker, but the OEM 2100 just isn't cutting it for a day of power user interaction.

If anyone wants my 2100 setup, I'll let it go for cheap; just hit me up via pm.

Regards,
Eric

GN using TapaTalk

Upvote 0
Yes, using Wi-Fi consumes less battery compared to 3G or 4G.

But leaving Wi-Fi turned on when you are out of your wireless hotspot, will drain more battery because the phone is trying to scan for other wireless hotspot to connect to even with your screen turned off... thus preventing your phone from going into deep sleep.

If you all want to get between 1% to 5% battery drain while you are sleeping, then leave the phone on 2G only and root and flash Lean Kernel or Trinity Kernel

See my Overnight Battery Usage History Chart below:

I am using a custom ROM called Bugless Beast (based on Android 4.0.3) and tested both Trinity Kernel and Lean Kernel.

9ffSY.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones