1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy Nexus, Droid Razr or Wait?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Greek, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Greek

Greek Newbie

So, I'm about to get my second Droid X2, and my first phone of the Droid X family and I'm thinking about just selling my warranty replacement on ebay and purchasing another phone. But I'm not sure what is exactly going on in the Android smart phone area at Verizon lately.

I'm thinking about getting either a Galaxy Nexus or a Droid Razr, but I'm leaning towards a nexus due to how I never have much luck with Motorola phones.

Would you guys suggest getting a Nexus for $220.00 and a new 2 year? Or is there another phone just on the horizon and would it be better for me to just wait it out?

Tl;Dr: Should I get a Galaxy Nexus, Droid Razr, or wait?

Thanks for all the advice in advance.

2. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

After taking a gander on the razr forum (and maxx) then reading through the GN forum, it's easy for me to decide. But you have to figure that out since the phone is for you. If you need a phone now then get the GN and test drive it as that is the only true way to find out if it is for you. Return it within 14 days if not. If you don't need a new phone there will always be something that lures you on the horizon so you just have to figure out if you want to scratch that itch now or later.

3. actofgod

actofgod Well-Known Member

There will never be a time where there isn't a new phone on the horizon that makes the phone you just bought seem worthless. Get used to it, and get whatever you desire right now.

4. dhworph

dhworph Android Enthusiast

If you can wait until the next Nexus device comes out, then I would wait (however, my LTE GNex is AWESOME). But if you are 100% positive you really want to upgrade within the next few months, I'd go with the current Nexus.

5. g nexta

g nexta Well-Known Member

The gnex is DESIGNED for the ICS (android 4.0). No other phone is. The upgrade on any other phone won't account for the one big benny that if you landscape, either left or right, it will always cause the main 4 keys to jump to the right side, allowing you to fully get used to landscape use of the keys when using 4g. speed. but, THE MOST AWESOME DIFFERENCE OF THE ANDROID 4 is the "recently used app history" button. a must for productivity app users. necessary. and, Other phones can get the ICS, but they need to be DESIGNED for it to maximize the awesomeness. for example, looking at a vid or pic without the home key, back key, the this key, and the that key showing....everything black but the video.
    (The face rec is kinda gimmicky imo.)
    This stuff outweighs the less-than-awesome camera quality or battery length. for now....

6. hurricane630

hurricane630 Well-Known Member

Just My opinion, ignore the razr and consider the razr Maxx.

I mean personally the razr has MAYBE one pro(signal strength). The Razr Maxx has a crazy good battery from what I've read on the forum(and exact same as razr, just bigger battery), but It is all about what you need/want. If you want AMAZING battery life, go maxx. If you want the newest nexus, the purest android version, and "fast" updates from google(never as fast as you want/expect) then get the Gnex. I have had it for a month or so and it is awesome! Love it and don't regret it at all!! I had the bionic was plagued with problems, I've had NO problems with my gnex. ICS is awesome! screen is also AMAZING can't leave that out lol and also battery wise, I get 24 hours on my extended battery

7. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY

I agree with hurricane, if you ARE going to get a RAZR, get the MAXX.

The Nexus isn't perfect, and it is due for an OTA. But it really is a sweet phone, running a sweet OS, and I personally love mine. Its the perfect phone for me.

Which is what it really comes down to. Each time I buy a phone, I feel, this is the perfect phone for me at the time. If you go into a purchase feeling this way, after all your research, I believe there is very little chance you will be disappointed. So if one of those two is really standing out in YOUR mind, get it. If you are reserved about getting either one, wait and see what is announced at MWC and see if any of those phones excite you...

8. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

I'm not going to re-hash the entire GN vs Razr discussions too much. I'll say I have the GN and my wife has the Razr. Obviously, the GN's big big big plus is ICS which may not come to the Razr until 3Q 2012. The GN has a much better screen....not even close. GN has some battery issues, and some people have weak signal issues, both of which I think will be addressed by OS updates and fixes....but there's no guarantee. With some simple tweaks you can improve battery life, but if you are a heavy user who doesn't have access to a charger during the day, then maybe you should wait (or consider the maxx). Also, the Razr is loaded, and I mean loaded with bloatware, much of which cannot be removed even rooted.

In terms of personal preferences, I hate the motorola interface, but that's something you should check out in the store. I also strongly suggest getting both the GN and Razr into your hands and get a physical feel for the devices. I find the GN very comfortable in my hand whereas my wife's Razr actually feels unpleasant to hold. Something about the thin squared-off edges just doesn't sit right with me. But again, this is totally personal.

9. g nexta

^^^^what he said. the gnex is very comfortable. perfect fit for my hands. and my friend has the maxx and it is so uncomfortable in my hands. so awkward. and without ics, forget it.

10. Starbuckpga

Starbuckpga Member

Wait for the iPhone 5. Simple as that. It will be the most superior phone known to man when it's released.

11. g nexta

why do you say that? does anyone even know anything about the iphone 5?
    do you even have a smartphone? i see none listed under your avi

12. stenzor

stenzor Android Enthusiast

(is joke)

13. giannib

giannib Newbie

it will probably have all the specs of GN, maybe even a curved screen

14. giannib

giannib Newbie

with the GN I have the quite unique perspective in tech of not seeing anything in the horizon better or desirable.
    So I don't see any reason to wait, unless you wait for price reduction

very strange, perfect satisfaction.

quad core are useless for my needs, more Mpix are simply bullshit, you can't squeeze more definition through this tiny lens

15. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

Honestly I don't see anything significantly leapfrogging Nexus in the first half of year. A15 based dual core will be a lot more powerful than A9 based quad cores. So SGSIII with new Exynos like link below or new Moto flagship phone with OMAP5 would be worth waiting for. But probably they won't be coming to verizon until Fall this year. My second line will be eligible for upgrade from September, so I will look for the next phone around that time.

http://androidandme.com/2012/02/news/samsung-demos-quad-core-exynos-processors-we-drool/

16. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Another +1 for the Maxx if you go the Razr route. I get at least one or two texts a day from my bud that got a Razr. HATES the battery life and kicks himself for not waiting on the Maxx.

That said, I'd go Gnex and never look back but this is the Gnex forum so the chances of bias are rather decent. :D

17. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

And my thoughts on quad cores...

Once again, we will all be like wide eyed kids in a candy store. We'll walk out with our new toys high on life and ready to conquer the world only to be on AF within a day posting stories about how our batteries are dead by noon. Dang, sometimes I feel like we need a big ole timeout while battery technology catches up with CPU power draining potential. :thinking:

18. pappy53

pappy53 Well-Known Member

Go Razr. It has better: battery life, call quality, signal strength, speakerphone, snappiness, speed, much better build quality, and when it gets ICS, the GN has lost any advantage.

19. Proph

Proph Android Enthusiast

we are so close to MWC, wait until that is over, see if anything is shown that peaks your interest to wait a little. if not go for the gnex. you are too close to MWC to not wait a couple of weeks and see almost everything coming out in the next 6 months.
    at least that is what i would do if i were you, not to mention everything shown at MWC will all be ICS, any flavor of the razr is going to have you sitting around wondering when your update will come.

20. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

When it gets ICS it could be August....

I don't see a speed or snappiness differential....

You really don't think the GN has any advantages? Have you looked at the screen? Or even the update process.....

21. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert

Well, I think the biggest battery killers are 4G/LTE radio and HD screen rather than processors. New mutli-core processors will be designed to deliver more efficient processing and consume less power with smaller feature sizes. We still have yet to see 2nd gen 28nm SoC 3G/4G chip and I guess it won't be here until Q3. Increasing battery capacity in given volume a lot more difficult as it needs new materials developed.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews