• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy Nexus locking up in use

Blorg

Lurker
Oct 22, 2011
I have this phone a bit under two weeks. Towards the end of the first week it locked up once- screen froze, unresponsive, then went black. Had to remove the battery to get it on again. This is now happening more frequently, maybe once a day on average. Generally the screen just freezes but once it froze and took on a jagged, sort of interlaced effect, reminiscent of an LCD cable being loose. So far the freezes have always been while I have actively been using it, it has never frozen in my pocket or overnight. My gut feeling is that it is a hardware issue.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
It's happened to me a couple times as well. Mine was on the frozen black screen when I check it the first thing in the morning. I had to do a battery pull to reset the phone. Another time, my morning alarm went off and when I pushed the "dismiss" button, there was the black frozen screen again. I hope it's just an ICS bug and will be fixed in the next update.

Upvote 0
Cool, thank you for that. I would be happier if it is an software bug, rather than a hardware issue... I bought the phone in Thailand and so returns would be a hassle; everything I have heard is that this is an awful place to try to get warranty service. I'll just keep at it for now and hope that it doesn't recur too much.

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
I haven't had this issue, and it is possible that it is a hardware/software issue, but I know when I used to always be flashing the latest and greatest ROM back in the G1 days, this would happen and 90% of the time a factory reset would take care of it. Sometimes during the initialization/install of the software, a file doesn't copy right or something and causes a memory leak. Re-initializing (resetting) usually takes care of that.

Reactions: Blorg
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones