1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Galaxy nexus MHL/HDMI issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Flavoristic, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Flavoristic

Flavoristic Newbie
    None

Dec 24, 2011
    Tech guy
    Montreal
    Hello guys,

Lately I have been using the MHL/HDMI cable for gaming on my Galaxy nexus to play Modern combat 3. Since i'v tethered my dual shock controller through bluetooth, Wifi is on for online playing, and the screen is on while playing, always run out of juice!! Even though my phone is plugged to the charger.

so i have been wondering if any of you guys could help me put my screen off while plugged into MHL/HDMI. Or help me under volt. thank you :)

Advertisement

2. thegreen

thegreen Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    PA
    Using the factory charger? (1 Amp) or one of the older 500 mA ones? You could try to find a 2A block like the ipad uses.

3. Flavoristic

Flavoristic Newbie
    None

Dec 24, 2011
    Tech guy
    Montreal
    am using the 2A, the apple one.

4. EraserXIV

EraserXIV Newbie
    None

Dec 14, 2011
    The 2A apple one is a bad idea. It's over 5V which can damage the battery.

5. Flavoristic

Flavoristic Newbie
    None

Dec 24, 2011
    Tech guy
    Montreal
    mmm i though every usb charger is normal to use. thanks for the info but what about the screen? am i able to turn it off without losing the game?

6. denzelwash

denzelwash Member
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    Any USB charger will be fine. They're all 5 volts, with varying amounts of current available. A 2 amp charger is fine, because the phone determines the current drawn.

If you go to Settings, About Phone, Status, with the charger plugged in, does it show charging via USB or AC? If it shows USB your phone is pulling 500ma(.5 amps) or less. If it shows AC, it's as good as it can get.

If it's showing USB, even though it's a high current charger, it means the data pins are not shorted together inside the charger. Shorted data pins tell the phone that a high current source is available.

You can solve this by busting open the charger and soldering the pins together, or by using this cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VYBCAY/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

That cable shorts the data pins, so the phone will assume the source it's plugged into is high current and it will charge quickly.

7. EraserXIV

EraserXIV Newbie
    None

Dec 14, 2011
    If it is indeed 5v then you are fine. I was under the belief that the one that comes with the ipad is not 5v.

8. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    From what I've seen in a quick look around, they both output 5V , but the iPad will output up to 2 Amps, whereas the iPhone charger is 5v, up to 1 Amp output.

to the OP, I'd second the checking to see if it's seeing the charger as a USB source, or AC charger source. I've yet to have a phone that I could out-pace the charger, regardless of what I had going, as long as it was a regular charger source, not a USB computer port. Might be worth trying another charger just to check.

As for the screen off, I don't know how that works through the MHL (mine's on order as of tonight).

Tags: