1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Galaxy Nexus Multi Tasking

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by devildriver6, Dec 31, 2011.

1. devildriver6

devildriver6 Member
    None

Dec 6, 2011
    So, I read a few places that the multitasking button on the Galaxy Nexus was only a quick menu to get to.apps, but if you swiped them away, they didnt close...

It seems to close the app, not just be a quick link...

Advertisement

2. andyandroid81891

andyandroid81891 Well-Known Member
    None

May 5, 2010
    idk... try running the music app hitting home and then pressing the multi-tasking app and swiping it away. The music stops playing.

3. Dagr

Dagr Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    It definitely seems to close them for me when I swipe them away... (kind of useful actually to quickly close running apps).

4. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    Turns out the bloggers who said it didn't close the app were mistaken, it does in fact close the app when you swipe it off. If users get into a habit of closing apps through this menu when they are done using them, they will likely find improved battery life from not having things running in the background.

5. paleodust

paleodust Android Expert
    None

Dec 19, 2009
    Male
    Finance
    Utah
    I can't remember the source, but I saw some back-pedalling the other day by people who had originally claimed that swiping it away didn't close the apps. They claimed that Google had set them straight.

6. drhill

drhill Android Expert
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    Most apps aren't running in the background. They are suspended so they will resume quicker when you open them again. By killing processes you are using more battery when you open the again because the must be read from disk and then initialized.

You should only kill misbehaving apps. An app suspended in ram cost you nothing as it has to be powered no matter what. When you start running low on memory, which happens less on phones with this much ram, the is will free up memory by killing suspended apps.

This isn't windows mobile so don't sweat the apps. You will do more harm then good. Whether swiping them away causes them to be killed I don't know. You could swipe one away then go to the applications tab in settings. Find the app and see if the "Force Close" button is enabled.

paleodust likes this.
  7. paleodust

paleodust Android Expert
    None

Dec 19, 2009
    Male
    Finance
    Utah
    Yep. That's a major difference between Android (and Linux in general) and Windows.

Tags: